Asking for Second Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EOC2022

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview at my first choice optometry school and was waitlisted to a non-ranked wait list.. The interview could not have gone worse. I knew going into the interview my OAT score was low but my GPA was a 3.78. I was prepared to answer a few questions about the low OAT but I was hammered for 15 of the 20 minutes about my low scores. In addition there were lots of questions that were related to the fact that I was a nontraditional "more mature student". In chatting with other students, while waiting to be dismissed, I found that I was not asked any of the questions they answered. Should I just see where this all shakes out or discuss with admissions how poorly the interview went?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind sharing, what school was it? I don't think you should bring attention to or mention how poorly you think you did on the interview, but find ways to improve your application and keep in touch with the admissions committee by sending updates often. Being waitlisted sucks, but doing everything in your power to get accepted should pay off in the end.

If you don't mind sharing, what school was it? I don't think you should bring attention to or mention how poorly you think you did on the interview, but find ways to improve your application and keep in touch with the admissions committee by sending updates often. Being waitlisted sucks, but doing everything in your power to get accepted should pay off in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply anywhere else? Your GPA is much higher than the average accepted
Yes, I have applied elsewhere. I applied at Salus and MCPHS, they are waiting on me to retake the OAT this month. I also applied to SCO and Rosenberg but have not heard anything. I have an Associates in Optometric Technology, BS in Biological Sciences and a Masters in Public Health Managment.

Yes, I have applied elsewhere. I applied at Salus and MCPHS, they are waiting on me to retake the OAT this month. I also applied to SCO and Rosenberg but have not heard anything. I have an Associates in Optometric Technology, BS in Biological Sciences and a Masters in Public Health Managment.
Focus on the OAT.

If you scored low enough for it to be an issue at 2 other schools, then you need to kill it this round.

Was that GPA for your B.S. or MPH?

Hello! I second Weirdys post. Your GPA is something to be very proud of and if you do well on the OAT then even better.

Imo, I would err on the side of caution with newer schools. When I interviewed at one of the newly founded schools you applied for, I was put off by a few things that weren't established yet and that they were talking very poorly of a top established school during my interview for no reason.
Take that as you will but just keep in mind you really want to invest in a school that feels right for you, your learning and your future.

Reactions: 1 users
Focus on the OAT.

If you scored low enough for it to be an issue at 2 other schools, then you need to kill it this round.

Was that GPA for your B.S. or MPH?

The GPA was for my MPH. My GPA for my BS was 3.75. I was under the impression from the other 2 schools that they were more concerned with the age of the OAT scores since it has been nearly two years since I took the OAT.

The GPA was for my MPH. My GPA for my BS was 3.75. I was under the impression from the other 2 schools that they were more concerned with the age of the OAT scores since it has been nearly two years since I took the OAT.
I see.

Quick Google off SCO's policy says OAT scores need to be within 2 years.

Best bet is to sign up for a retake and just get it over with.

I see.

Quick Google off SCO's policy says OAT scores need to be within 2 years.

Best bet is to sign up for a retake and just get it over with.
Yes. I was right at the two year mark. I am retaking next week. Several schools have the two year rule.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar situation to yours last year, and I ended up getting into KYCO. I'm sure you probably got one of the least laid back professors for your interview, but I wouldn't let it get to you. At this stage in the cycle, most schools are nearly full if not completely, but I know from talking to some of the ambassadors here that there are still about 20 seats left with quite a few wait-listed applicants that they will be trying to pull from. My advice, if you're interested in KYCO, is to be persistent in your communication with them and keep asking about that wait list status. If you decide to reach out to them again, just let them know that you are confident in your qualifications and you want to know how likely your admission will be for this cycle. Good luck!

I was in a similar situation to yours last year, and I ended up getting into KYCO. I'm sure you probably got one of the least laid back professors for your interview, but I wouldn't let it get to you. At this stage in the cycle, most schools are nearly full if not completely, but I know from talking to some of the ambassadors here that there are still about 20 seats left with quite a few wait-listed applicants that they will be trying to pull from. My advice, if you're interested in KYCO, is to be persistent in your communication with them and keep asking about that wait list status. If you decide to reach out to them again, just let them know that you are confident in your qualifications and you want to know how likely your admission will be for this cycle. Good luck![/QUOTE

Thanks for the encouragement!

If you don’t mind sharing, what was your OAT score?