Asking guidance for path to Health Informatics / CIO..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MD candidate (MD in May 2015), and due to personal circumstances decided to go into Health Informatics. I have a background in computer science (BS and worked, generally love programming) and decided a job in health informatics would be the dream career for me.

However, I'm worried about my lack of healthcare industry experience.

My plan is to get my foot in the industry by getting a programmer/analyst entry-level EHR job at a pretty respectable company/university hospital in Irvine, CA (my hometown) and whilst doing that,
enroll in online-class MHI program. Currently I'm looking at UIC's program.

My goal is to become CIO. My long-term dream is to create the next best EMR system.

Some things that are still in the veil are:
1) Is this the best use of my current career status/background skillset? (I am definitely sure I will not pursue clinical physician path in the near/long future)

2) How realistic is my plan to get a job as a program analyst/entry-level EMR worker at a university hospital/ related company? I have decent programming skills, and hopefully my med-school degree can appease the industry experience requirement.

3) Just how good is the UIC program, and how competitive would it be to get in?

4) Is the field already saturated, or is it still a viable field (as in salary is still pretty high with a MHI?)

Any helpful/honest experience is very much appreciated. I'm scared about this career change, but I really want to do it.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
It's depend upon your qualification. you need to complete residency in any speciality.

Reactions: 1 user