Asking LOR from attending I was with for 3 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

learntothink

Reaction score
Hi,

It is odd asking for an LOR from attending I was working with for 3 days? They saw me talk to families about the plan, and they gave me really good feedback. I probably interacted with this attending more than others I have been with for 1-1.5 weeks.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I’d say try to have to same level of interaction with other attendings for a longer period of time. I don’t think it’s ideal that the attending that knows you best is someone you’ve known only 3 days.

I’d say try to have to same level of interaction with other attendings for a longer period of time. I don’t think it’s ideal that the attending that knows you best is someone you’ve known only 3 days.
Absolutely correct, other than a generic letter, what could that attending possibly say that would stand out after working with someone for three days. Your better off securing a letter from someone that could write a more personal recommendation. Those are the ones that catch PDs attention.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a good idea. You want LORs from people who can speak to your trajectory, growth, and clinical skills in depth. No matter how great of feedback they gave you, they're not going to be able to do that if they've only worked with you for 3 days. Also, people usually start letters with I've known so and so for x years. You're going to put them in an uncomfortable spot by asking them to write you a letter if they've only worked with you for 3 days and you don't otherwise know them.

But we only work with clinical attendings for a 1-2 weeks at most. How do I find one that I have known for more than that?

Reactions: 1 user
Not a good idea. You want LORs from people who can speak to your trajectory, growth, and clinical skills in depth. No matter how great of feedback they gave you, they're not going to be able to do that if they've only worked with you for 3 days. Also, people usually start letters with I've known so and so for x years. You're going to put them in an uncomfortable spot by asking them to write you a letter if they've only worked with you for 3 days and you don't otherwise know them.
Doesn’t one only have like 2.5 years before asking for LORs? I mean what it is the OP supposed to do? Or anybody for that matter. Start planning during orientation week. Not trying to be cavalier

I mean I have research mentor/specialty mentors who I have worked with for years now who will write me good letters. I just need one more clinical letter.

Doesn’t one only have like 2.5 years before asking for LORs? I mean what it is the OP supposed to do? Or anybody for that matter. Start planning during orientation week. Not trying to be cavalier
Fr I assumed LoRs were from rotational (4 weeks), not years haha

If applying into competitive specialty, find your mentors early. This means shadowing, getting involved in research, and in events hosted by specialty interest groups. Meet attendings early and find your mentors who can vouch for you down the line. You won't necessarily work with an attending for more than a few days on any given rotation but if the first time you meet them is the first day of that rotation, then your letter won't be stellar.

For things like internal medicine when you might have the same attending every day for 2 weeks, this is obviously a little different and to be expected. But for surgical specialties, you're rarely with the same attending for that long and even if you are, it's hard for them to evaluate you based only on your interactions with them (although the residents will tell them how you're doing). In any case, better to have someone you know in your corner because at least you have an idea of what is going into your letter. Try to control as many parts of this process as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
If applying into competitive specialty, find your mentors early. This means shadowing, getting involved in research, and in events hosted by specialty interest groups. Meet attendings early and find your mentors who can vouch for you down the line. You won't necessarily work with an attending for more than a few days on any given rotation but if the first time you meet them is the first day of that rotation, then your letter won't be stellar.

For things like internal medicine when you might have the same attending every day for 2 weeks, this is obviously a little different and to be expected. But for surgical specialties, you're rarely with the same attending for that long and even if you are, it's hard for them to evaluate you based only on your interactions with them (although the residents will tell them how you're doing). In any case, better to have someone you know in your corner because at least you have an idea of what is going into your letter. Try to control as many parts of this process as you can.
I understand, but we need two letters form attendings in our clerkships for IM prelims. So we will know them, if we are very lucky, for 2 weeks max.
I am getting two LORs from mentors who I have know for 2 years now, but it just just these one that are required from a clerkship that are more hard to get.

I am getting two LORs from mentors who I have know for 2 years now, but it just just these one that are required from a clerkship that are more hard to get.
Oh, if for an IM prelim year, then just go for the attending you worked with longest in a sub-I setting. Usually this will be at least 1 week or 2.

One thing the OP should not do, is get a letter form someone who he/she has known for only 3 days.