Asking PD's for a spot "outside the match"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weil-Felix

Super Flying Squirrel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still have a year left before I have to apply for residency spots. But I have been thinking ahead, and I have heard that occasionally people are able to work out deals with program directors for spots "outside the match". This is very intriguing to me, because I am really only interested in matching in one very specific area of the country (I am trying to follow my soon-to-be husband who has already matched.) I have several questions about this:

1) Is it legal?!

2) Does it happen very often?

3) Is there any way to subtly hint that you might be interested in such an arrangement? I assume that you can't just come right out and ask, can you?

Any other thoughts on this? Has anyone here had experience with this? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

WF

Members don't see this ad.

US grads: illegal

DO, IMG: legal, but this is the last year... starting with Match 2004, it's illegal for this group, too.

Slight modification. US GRADS are allowed to sign before the day, but US STUSENTS aren't. If there is one particular program you are interested in, talk with that PD. Explain that you want to be in that specific area with your husband. If there isn't one particular program, make certain that the PD's know that you are limited geographically. Judging from other posters, that sometimes does the trick.