ERAS: Listing residencies done outside the USA/Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceAceAttorney

Reaction score
Hi, IMG here, just wondering on ERAS how you are supposed to list non-US/Canadian "residency" experience. Graduated med school in 2013, then worked in the Foundation program in Northern Ireland, then moved to New Zealand and did a couple of years in the RACP adult internal medicine program, now doing locum tenens Hospital medicine in Northern Ireland again. Should I list these all as non-ACGME, since they're not American, or as ACGME, since they're all mostly accredited training programs and not just "work experience"? Appreciate any adivce.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just follow the instructions literally and list them as work experience. Anyone reading the description will still see that some of these were training programs.

Last edited:
I'm hoping you're getting a jump on next year's application. If you're applying this year, you are (almost certainly) much too late.

If this was in NZ, it is definitely not ACGME. If it's internationally accredited, it's non-ACGME. You will get little / no credit for it (depends on field)

Ok! I'll list them as work experience. As you say, they probably won't give any credit, so I don't think it will matter too much. Just want to explain the gap between graduating and residency!

I added in Previous Training with a note **Non-ACGME accredited or something like that AND in Work Experience, with a more broad description of activities. Never got a complaint about it.