asking pharmacist for a letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koala3298

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm volunteering in a free pharmacy. I mainly work and talk with two pharmacy students and barely talk to the pharmacist. He usually discusses with the pharmacy students about pharmacy schools, residency or anything occurs after getting into pharmacy school. He also chats with the technician and the pharmacy students about daily stuff but I am really bad at jumping into these kinds of conversations. In class, professors know me well through our conservations about homework, class material, research, etc. These college topics are not what the pharmacist wants to talk about, so I find it very hard to start a conversation with him. Can someone give me some topics that I can use to start a conversation with him? I want him to know a little bit about me so that I can ask for a letter of recommendation more easily.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm volunteering in a free pharmacy. I mainly work and talk with two pharmacy students and barely talk to the pharmacist. He usually discusses with the pharmacy students about pharmacy schools, residency or anything occurs after getting into pharmacy school. He also chats with the technician and the pharmacy students about daily stuff but I am really bad at jumping into these kinds of conversations. In class, professors know me well through our conservations about homework, class material, research, etc. These college topics are not what the pharmacist wants to talk about, so I find it very hard to start a conversation with him. Can someone give me some topics that I can use to start a conversation with him? I want him to know a little bit about me so that I can ask for a letter of recommendation more easily.

Spoiler: My reply won't be helpfull

I had a similar experience where the pharmacist would not really acknowledge my presence. There were no pharm students working there, but he knew I was there for experience and to find out if I wanted to pursue pharmacy. I felt disconnected from him, too, as all i had to talk about was university stuff. Long story short, I didn't get close enough to ask him for a recommendation. I did, however, get into pharmacy school with professor, advisor and employee recommendations.

Reactions: 1 user
Approach and tell him that you are interested in pharmacy school and would appreciate any advice that he may have for you. This can lead into a discussion about your plan and you gauge his reaction from there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't necessarily have to talk about college or pharmacy school but that would be a good start if you don't know what to talk about. Asking for advice about starting pharmacy school is a good place to start.

I started out the same way. I had no experience and started volunteering in a free med clinic. Make sure to introduce yourself...we are not ignoring you. We were in your exact shoes not long ago. I try to take time to meet with all of the prepharm students that I can but sometimes its just too busy and the patient comes first.

I really can't advise you on how to start a convo because I just talk to everyone. Also, the pharmacist doesnt necessarily have to know you on a personal level to write you a LOR. From my experience in real life, people can tell you are from the way you speak to your interactions with others. Believe it or not, the pharmacist is observing you.
This is my biggest tip I have for everyone: getting the right person to write you a LOR can do so much for you application, just think about that.

Do yourself the biggest favor you will ever do and force yourself into uncomfortable situations like these. You'll find that they will all of a sudden become enjoyable and the connections you will make/ the knowledge you will gain from them will be major artillery for getting into pharmacy school (especially for when you sit for your interviews). Ask him about provider status, and ask him what he thinks about the recent projections of a shortage of physicians coming in the recent years and how that will impact/change the role of the pharmacist in the health care setting. Most importantly be confident in yourself always.

I agree confidence is important! If you keep it professional you cant go wrong. Also, you are there to work, so of you do a good job then most likely you'll get a good LOR.