Asking physicians about shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I know a couple of physicians personally that I could ask to shadow but they live a considerable distance from me, however, there is a family practice clinic right across from my house. I don't know the doctor at all, is it considered strange to ask a physician you don't know if you can shadow him? How should I go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of us have to do that.

Send an email or call one of the secretaries.

When I was looking I typed up a letter explaining why I wanted to shadow, who I was and what my goals were. I dropped it off with secretaries in offices all across town and got a call and offer (actually 2) to shadow in less than 2 hours.

Type a letter.
Drop it off.
Bam. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was looking I typed up a letter explaining why I wanted to shadow, who I was and what my goals were. I dropped it off with secretaries in offices all across town and got a call and offer (actually 2) to shadow in less than 2 hours.

Type a letter.
Drop it off.
Bam. =)
LULzz.

Or just walk up to the secretary and be like "LOL, I want to shadow a doctor LOL..."

Better yet, just show up one day and say to the doctor "oh hi I'm going to follow you around for a few hours every week, I hope you don't mind."

LULzz.

Or just walk up to the secretary and be like "LOL, I want to shadow a doctor LOL..."

Saying "LOL" while trying to type a quotation MIGHT be worse than typing up a short information sheet about yourself to try and obtain a shadowing opportunity (by the way, many doctors here require applications through the university). If the doctor is busy when you get there, the secretary has something to pass along to him/her later with your contact information. It took me 5 minutes.

By the way, OP - my doctor expressed how much he appreciated this several times....so it's your choice, I was just giving you what worked for me.

I never had one of these cold-call situations work out- expect your mileage to vary. I chatted up nurses, sent letters, sent faxes + called, etc. The only one of these that worked out was a research opportunity, but I had actually met the lead research physician in an elevator already and he made the offer/suggestion first...so I was really just following up with a letter at a later time. Give it a try, for sure, but don't hesitate to fall back on the physicians you know because they'll probably give you better shadowing experiences anyway. They'll also be more likely to volunteer a letter of recommendation.

PS- I think the easiest path to getting "shadowing" on your application is surgery. Surgeons are completely used to having people observe them, and your presence isn't a burden on them in any way (they can pretty much ignore you). Shadowing in a primary care setting is different because the physician will probably feel more obligated to talking to you, and may have to explain your presence to every patient he sees that day.

Shadowing my general physician was the easiest option for me- she also offered names of colleagues that would consider a shadow. I just asked her at one of my appointments (I have a chronic disease so I see her frequently) and she gave me her office number and we set a date- she was a lil more reserved at first but as time progressed now it is just "let the nurse know a couple days ahead- come anytime"

I also used a contact from the dentist I nanny for- they have a friend who was in the specialty I wanted to shadow in- it was through a hospital and took around 6 months of paperwork but I got to shadow and that doctor hooked me up for 2 weeks spending each day with a different physician in different areas of hematology and oncology. The doctors here were awesome- I have cell number, pager numbers, email addies, etc and one of them even gave me advice on writing a mock abstract for one of my classes.

Anytime I asked a random doctor I was shut down- hopefully it will be better for you.