Asking preceptors to be a reference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GravityBeetle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm several years out of pharmacy school now but have only held two jobs. I recently interviewed for a new job and they're now asking for references. I would prefer to not ask people at my current job for references for obvious reasons. The new employer specified it is okay to ask professors and teachers if you are a recent graduate. Do you think it would be okay to ask preceptors from several years ago?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm 6 years out of pharmacy school now but have only held two jobs. I recently interviewed for a new job and they're now asking for references, two of which must be managers. I would prefer to not ask my current co-workers or manager to be references because I know they don't want me to leave and it would be awkward (especially if I end up not getting the job). The new employer specified it is okay to ask professors and teachers if you are a recent graduate. Do you think it would be okay to ask preceptors whom I have not spoken with in over 6 years to be my references?

It depends - Did you apply for Amazon delivery?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I come from hospital and am applying to another hospital position

Gotcha - if you have good relationships with your old preceptors and you feel like they can make current/relevant comments about you then yes.

If not - I would seek other more relevant peers to act as a reference.

If you ever find yourself in a position where you are applying for Amazon delivery due to the fact that our profession is a nightmare - they don’t care who you put down. I plan on using my mom when that day comes for me.

Reactions: 1 users
in what industry would 6 years out in the workforce be considered as new grad -_____-

in what industry would 6 years out in the workforce be considered as new grad -_____-
My thoughts exactly but then what the heck do they expect when they ask for two manager references? Are they specifically looking for people who switch jobs every 3 years? I thought most companies want better employee retention and not hire serial job hoppers

My thoughts exactly but then what the heck do they expect when they ask for two manager references? Are they specifically looking for people who switch jobs every 3 years? I thought most companies want better employee retention and not hire serial job hoppers
I had a job recently that I applied for that required a manager reference - I have worked at my place 15 years, and didn't want to tell mgmt I was applying for a new job - so I ended up going back and asking a manager who retired 5 years ago to be my reference. If it wasn't for her, I have no idea who I would ask as my only managers from the last 15 years other than her, still worked there, and I honestly don't even have the contact info (and can barely remember the names) of people prior to that