Asking right professor for letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rain Rein Reign

Reaction score
I know most schools require a LOR from 2 science professors and 1 non-science professor. I don't know if the two science professors I am asking qualify. The first is my PI and though I didn't take a formal course with him, I did take 4 quarters of an SRP 199 which is basically a directed research class in which I receive a grade and submit a paper (and give a presentation at journal club).
The second professor I want to ask oversaw a club I was a member of. He is co-listed on a course I took but didn't teach my section of the course. Would this disqualify him?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know most schools require a LOR from 2 science professors and 1 non-science professor. I don't know if the two science professors I am asking qualify. The first is my PI and though I didn't take a formal course with him, I did take 4 quarters of an SRP 199 which is basically a directed research class in which I receive a grade and submit a paper (and give a presentation at journal club).
The second professor I want to ask oversaw a club I was a member of. He is co-listed on a course I took but didn't teach my section of the course. Would this disqualify him?
1. Principal Investigator-Science Faculty. In general, a science LOR is written by an individual (e.g., professor) in whose BCPM class you were enrolled as a student and you were actually taught in the class by that professor. This letter writer should be able to write about (and clearly assess) your strengths and merits as an aspring physician. Unless otherwise indicated, many schools will accept a LOR prepared by your PI based on your research experience - you were directly supervised by the PI who should know you well in this research capacity - as well as your directed research SRP 199 class (you received a letter grade posted on your official transcript from this same PI who is also science faculty). Suggest you request a LOR from this professor as a science LOR.

2. Professor who is Club Advisor But Not Your Actual Teacher. This professor is solely familiar with you as a member of a student club on campus, and not as your actual BCPM teacher in a class. So they are probably not personally familiar with your academic strengths and merits as an aspiring medical student because they have never taught you in a class - never in person nor online. For this reason, it would probably be challenging for them to assess your academic abilities. On the other hand, perhaps they *do* know you reasonably well because they have become familiar with your altruism, character and leadership as a faculty advisor to your student club, eh? If you want to request a LOR from this professor, suggest you submit as a non-science LOR.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users