ASM Undergraduate Research Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j-weezy

MS1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of it? Anyone applied? The website talks about microbiology-related research as a requirement for eligibility as well as having a faculty mentor who's a member of ASM. I've been working in a biochem lab for over a year but my PI is a member of ASM -- do you guys think that makes me eligible for the fellowship? Sorry for all the questions -- I looked at the website, but it appears to be a little vague.

peace

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard about it, but I did not work on anything close to microbiology. I would talk to your advisor about it and other fellowships that you may be eligible for... there are quite a few out there.

Anyone heard of it? Anyone applied? The website talks about microbiology-related research as a requirement for eligibility as well as having a faculty mentor who's a member of ASM. I've been working in a biochem lab for over a year but my PI is a member of ASM -- do you guys think that makes me eligible for the fellowship? Sorry for all the questions -- I looked at the website, but it appears to be a little vague.

peace

I thought about it for last summer but ended up using a different fellowship instead. I remember having the same doubt--my PI does some microbiology-related research, but my particular project has little of that involved. It looked like a great fellowship though, I think 4000USD and free housing? Let me know if you find out more about it because I'm looking for a fellowship for the upcoming summer.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
so this is from the website --

"Eligible student candidates for the fellowship must:

Be enrolled as full-time matriculating undergraduate students during the 2007-2008 academic year at an accredited U.S. Institution,
Be involved in a research project,
Have an ASM member at their home institutions willing to serve as a mentor, and
Not receive financial support for research (i.e., Council for Undergraduate Research, Minority Access to Research Careers, Sigma Xi) during the fellowship."

So the financial support thing is weird....if it's a fellowship that provides money for a stipend and money for possible travel, why would they care if you have a a fellowship for research only? I get money from the goldwater people but it doesn't appear ASM would care, even though both provide stipends of a sort.....but I'm about to apply for a research grant where the money is only for research equipment, supplies, time on machines etc (not a stipend) but that would make me ineligible?! so should i not apply for the research grant in hopes of getting the ASM fellowship...i'm thinking not, but i'm no gambler.....sorry if this is incoherent or not cohesive, my brain is TIRED

Sort of incoherent. I would suggest just e-mailing them with your particular questions, as it doesn't appear that anybody else with experience with this fellowship is hanging around this forum.

so this is from the website --

"Eligible student candidates for the fellowship must:

Be enrolled as full-time matriculating undergraduate students during the 2007-2008 academic year at an accredited U.S. Institution,
Be involved in a research project,
Have an ASM member at their home institutions willing to serve as a mentor, and
Not receive financial support for research (i.e., Council for Undergraduate Research, Minority Access to Research Careers, Sigma Xi) during the fellowship."

So the financial support thing is weird....if it's a fellowship that provides money for a stipend and money for possible travel, why would they care if you have a a fellowship for research only? I get money from the goldwater people but it doesn't appear ASM would care, even though both provide stipends of a sort.....but I'm about to apply for a research grant where the money is only for research equipment, supplies, time on machines etc (not a stipend) but that would make me ineligible?! so should i not apply for the research grant in hopes of getting the ASM fellowship...i'm thinking not, but i'm no gambler.....sorry if this is incoherent or not cohesive, my brain is TIRED

Hi guys,

First post!

I actually received the ASM URF for Summer 2006. So, the application is a ferocious two part, in which the student applicant and the PI each has to fill out a bunch, plus agree to go the ASM General Meeting. I wouldn't do it unless your PI loves you (and is an ASM member).

Overall, it's summer stipend funding + travel expenses and special presentations at the ASM General Meeting. The ASM GM is a huge Microbiology conference, lots of things to do, see about anything to do with microbiology.

They won't give you summer stipend funding if you already have funding (eg. they only want to give you 1x survival money, not like 10x). But, if you have prior nonstipend funding (eg. equipments grant), they will give it to you (I have a couple grants for equipment already). Also, they will do "partial funding," whereas if you have summer stipend from another source, they'll just give you travel money. Travel part is about $1000.

If you want, you should send them an email; the coordinator (Tiff Fonseca) is rather nice ;)

Hope it helps!

hey thanks for the info. Welcome to SDN!

Hi guys,

First post!

I actually received the ASM URF for Summer 2006. So, the application is a ferocious two part, in which the student applicant and the PI each has to fill out a bunch, plus agree to go the ASM General Meeting. I wouldn't do it unless your PI loves you (and is an ASM member).

Overall, it's summer stipend funding + travel expenses and special presentations at the ASM General Meeting. The ASM GM is a huge Microbiology conference, lots of things to do, see about anything to do with microbiology.

They won't give you summer stipend funding if you already have funding (eg. they only want to give you 1x survival money, not like 10x). But, if you have prior nonstipend funding (eg. equipments grant), they will give it to you (I have a couple grants for equipment already). Also, they will do "partial funding," whereas if you have summer stipend from another source, they'll just give you travel money. Travel part is about $1000.

If you want, you should send them an email; the coordinator (Tiff Fonseca) is rather nice ;)

Hope it helps!