ASOPRS Oculofacial Plastics Job Market/Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophtho bro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an ophthalmology resident interested in oculofacial plastics. I just wanted to get more of a sense of the job demand and salary for these postions as information online is limited.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The job demand will always be there. Salary really depends on what you actually do (just like any other specialty). All medical cases paid by Medicare and Medicaid? You'll do well enough. All cosmetic cash-only procedures? You'll make millions once you get busy.

You might not think the money is worth though it if you're made miserable by your patients and what you're doing. Pursue what makes you happy.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say for many practices offering jobs to newly graduated ASOPRS docs, you're likely to find $250-275K in private multi-spec practices. If they're plastics only, it could be less. Yes, there are outliers. If they're PE-backed, much more. The range is broad. As for total comp, you could get $1mil+ if you have a strong cash pay practice.

Plastics-only practices will have low overhead compared to multi-specialty groups but you don't have a built-in referral network so you have to go out and build that up. In a multi-specialty practice, you will be subjected to the overhead of the practice. I have had success helping plastics docs negotiate for different bonus structures based on the type of patient (insurance reimbursed vs. cash pay). Here I suggest the insurance-reimbursed patients have their collections subjected to the total overhead of the practice, the bonus is in line with the rest of the docs at the practice. For cash-pay patients, you get 45-50% bonus. This seems to keep the incentive structures pointed in the right direction for both the practice and surgeon and seems fair. You will have less flexibility with hosptials and PE backed practice on this however, your base salary will be much higher.

It is estimated a population of ~240,000 is needed to support 1 full-time oculoplastic surgeon. Keep that in mind when assessing the areas you want to join. Areas with a lot of plastic ENT or facial plastic surgeons will cause pressure on this number as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user