ASPCA 4th year externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty0526

MSU CVM c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Has anyone done the ASPCA externship? I was wondering what everyone’s experience was and if it is as hands on as it says it is?

The dorm situation has me worried but it’s also the cheapest option.

I still wanted to hear everyone else’s thoughts on both their experience and the dorm situation.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Loved it loved it loved it. I went with @Doggo Labs and @Barkley13. @Trilt also went there when she was in school and highly recommended it.
I think I got somewhere around 20-25 surgeries? It does depend on your instructor but they say you’ll get about 15 or so. My instructor was pretty hands off and let us do our own thing and helped when we asked (there were demos the first morning) and otherwise let us do the surgery. They do have a timer for when students have to stop the surgery and the instructor needs to take over so they can limit anesthesia time though. 30 minutes for pediatrics (<6 mo iirc?) and 60 minutes for older. They also have a strict cut off of all students stopping surgery at 3 pm and instructors take over. My instructor would ask if you wanted her to get to a certain part if you were stuck and struggling and taking a long time on a certain step so that you could do different parts of the surgery (also if it was getting close to the end of the day she’d ask if the student wanted her to open the abdomen and get them to whatever spot like hooking the horns so they’d get to practice that, even if they wouldn’t get to finish the surgery).
The dorm wasn’t bad at all. It’s a very nice building and has a full kitchen with 2 big fridges. Because of COVID restrictions and them starting to open back up to students, there were only 7 of us at the time (supposed to be 8 but one girl was sick with covid and didn’t come) but there’s usually more than that (I think maybe about 16 is their usual?). The dorms are individual rooms with 4 beds each (2 sets of bunks) and there’s a big locking cubby for each bed so you can keep your stuff safe if you’re with people you don’t know. Your dorm room also is locked and only the 4 in that room can get in with their key.
I rented a car which was very nice to have, but definitely not a requirement. Uber and Lyft do exist but can be harder to get out there. I was able to take one from the airport to the dorm and from the dorm to the mall where I was renting a car (cheaper over there).

Loved it loved it loved it. I went with @Doggo Labs and @Barkley13. @Trilt also went there when she was in school and highly recommended it.
I think I got somewhere around 20-25 surgeries? It does depend on your instructor but they say you’ll get about 15 or so. My instructor was pretty hands off and let us do our own thing and helped when we asked (there were demos the first morning) and otherwise let us do the surgery. They do have a timer for when students have to stop the surgery and the instructor needs to take over so they can limit anesthesia time though. 30 minutes for pediatrics (The dorm wasn’t bad at all. It’s a very nice building and has a full kitchen with 2 big fridges. Because of COVID restrictions and them starting to open back up to students, there were only 7 of us at the time (supposed to be 8 but one girl was sick with covid and didn’t come) but there’s usually more than that (I think maybe about 16 is their usual?). The dorms are individual rooms with 4 beds each (2 sets of bunks) and there’s a big locking cubby for each bed so you can keep your stuff safe if you’re with people you don’t know. Your dorm room also is locked and only the 4 in that room can get in with their key.
I rented a car which was very nice to have, but definitely not a requirement. Uber and Lyft do exist but can be harder to get out there. I was able to take one from the airport to the dorm and from the dorm to the mall where I was renting a car (cheaper over there).

That sounds amazing!

Ok the dorms don’t sound bad and it’s cheap!

Do you recommend renting a car? Like if you don’t mind me asking why did you rent one?

Thanks so much for responding! This has been super helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds amazing!

Ok the dorms don’t sound bad and it’s cheap!

Do you recommend renting a car? Like if you don’t mind me asking why did you rent one?

Thanks so much for responding! This has been super helpful!
I rented one so the classmate/friend that went with me would be able to go grocery shopping, downtown, sight seeing (we went to the Biltmore bc I’m obsessed with Christmas and it was their first weekend of Christmas decorations), and hiking if we wanted to and whenever we wanted vs having to rely on someone else there or take a Lyft/uber. I did manage to find a slightly better price on the rental car but it was still definitely pricey. Doggo had a car there (she had been on an externship somewhat nearby for the 2 weeks prior to ASPCA) and another girl in our group got a car partway through as well.

Reactions: 1 user
we went to the Biltmore bc I’m obsessed with Christmas and it was their first weekend of Christmas decorations)
Oh my god did you love it? It's honestly a very cool tour even during normal times, but the Biltmore at Christmas is freaking amazing.

Glad my convincing you guys to go was worthwhile. ;)

Oh my god did you love it? It's honestly a very cool tour even during normal times, but the Biltmore at Christmas is freaking amazing.

Glad my convincing you guys to go was worthwhile. ;)
YES IT WAS AMAZING. I took so many photos of so many trees.

Like how could you not just be obsessed with this?
DE2A29E5-1F42-45BC-817B-320F3FF8FFF7.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user