Aspiration Precautions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Precedex

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you routinely (or selectively) give pharmacologic prophylaxis for patients you perceive to be at high risk for gastric aspiration? I'm particularly interested in your practice regarding preoperative administration of medications such as bicitra, ranitidine/famotidine, and metoclopramide. I am not convinced I have a fully thought out risk/benefit analysis of these interventions. Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

During residency I had a pt who required deep brain stimulator placement from tardive dyskinesia due to reglan. I understand that she was an extreme case. It is not a benign drug and I only use it if absolutely necessary. In L&D I give bicitra prior to epidural placements and c-sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a couple of reasons. All pregnant women are considered full stomachs regardless of NPO time. In the event of major hypotension from neuraxial placement the patient may have nausea and vomiting. Bicitra increases the gastric pH and hopefully lessen the risk of harm from aspiration. Additionally, if the pt ends up needing a c-section (a GA section is always a possibility) within 3 hours the bicitra is already on board (Bicitra's effect lasts 2-3 hours).

NNT for anti-acids in aspiration prevention is off the chart, it makes no sense to give them but i know you guys in the US love that stuff... kinda weird imho

For a couple of reasons. All pregnant women are considered full stomachs regardless of NPO time. In the event of major hypotension from neuraxial placement the patient may have nausea and vomiting. Bicitra increases the gastric pH and hopefully lessen the risk of harm from aspiration. Additionally, if the pt ends up needing a c-section (a GA section is always a possibility) within 3 hours the bicitra is already on board (Bicitra’s effect lasts 2-3 hours).

Why would they aspirate if they are awake?

I always say to each his own, but I find your reasoning very peculiar.

Do you routinely (or selectively) give pharmacologic prophylaxis for patients you perceive to be at high risk for gastric aspiration? I'm particularly interested in your practice regarding preoperative administration of medications such as bicitra, ranitidine/famotidine, and metoclopramide. I am not convinced I have a fully thought out risk/benefit analysis of these interventions. Thanks for your thoughts.

Only one I ever give is Bictra. Agree with Reglan being a nasty drug, only time I have ever used it was for pts with diabetic gastroparesis. I don't usually have enough time to get the pt's started on ppis or the H2 blockers.

Bictra was also my choice of self-medication in residency to help heartburn from cafeteria food. Never seemed to help that much.

I was taught in residency to give BICTRA, reglan and H2 blocker in preop if i perceive risk of aspiration.

1. BICITRA- rarely give it any more even in OB, unless pt has a real hx of bad reflux. I have noted a high incidence of n/V induced by giving it. If i have a planned GA then i will give it. If patient has an SBO do you really think giving them more volume in the stomach decrease aspiration risk. i think it would make a patient more predisposed to regurgitation.

2. Reglan- horrible drug- i have seen psychosis, dystonia. It doesnt magically cause the stomach to empty by the time the pt is induced, use an OGT/NGT if you are concerned about waking up with it

3. H2 blocker- youre only stopping new acid from being formed and doing nothing for the acid already in the stomach.

The best thing you can do is to induce and get the tube in as fast as you can.

Also how many people out there are using ETT with an above the ballon suction device. We use them in all our ICU patients and when i have a case where aspiration is a risk i place it to help decrease microaspiration.

http://www.developinganaesthesia.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=23

FYI, Reglan starts working in 1-3 minutes after an I.V. dose. It may have a role to play in Diabetic patients with suspected gastroparesis but even that group is subject to much debate.

Last edited:
Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2004 Apr;21(4):260-4. Links

Comment in: Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2005 Apr;22(4):321. A comparison of the effects of ranitidine and omeprazole on volume and pH of gastric contents in elective surgical patients.

Gouda BB, Lydon AM, Badhe A, Shorten GD.
Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Department of Anesthesiology, Pondicherry, India.
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: In cases of aspiration of gastric contents the risk of pneumonitis is dependent on the pH and volume of the gastric contents. Omeprazole and rantidine each decrease gastric volume and increase gastric pH. We evaluated the efficacy of preoperative administration of omeprazole (60 mg) or ranitidine (150 mg) in the prophylaxis of aspiration pneumonitis. METHODS: Data were obtained from 75 elective female surgical patients randomly allocated to one of three groups, who received either omeprazole 60 mg orally, or ranitidine 150 mg orally, or neither, on the evening prior to, and on the morning of, surgery. Gastric volume and pH was measured using blind aspiration. RESULTS: Both pH < 2.5 and volume > 25 mL were present in none of the patients in either the ranitidine or omeprazole groups, compared to 15 of 25 control patients (P < 0.0001). CONCLUSIONS: Preoperative oral administration of omeprazole (60 mg) or ranitidine (150 mg) reduced residual gastric content volume and increased pH > 2.5, possibly reducing the effects of pulmonary aspiration of gastric contents.

Ann Intern Med. 1982 Apr;96(4):444-6. Links

Metoclopramide to treat gastroparesis due to diabetes mellitus: a double-blind, controlled trial.

Snape WJ Jr, Battle WM, Schwartz SS, Braunstein SN, Goldstein HA, Alavi A.
Ten patients with diabetic gastroparesis were selected for a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of metoclopramide. Each patient had longstanding insulin-requiring diabetes mellitus and symptoms of gastric stasis. The patients were evaluated for the symptoms of gastric stasis and radionucleotide gastric emptying was measured before the patients entered the study and after they were given either metoclopramide or placebo treatment. Metoclopramide, 10 mg orally, stimulated an increase in the rate of gastric emptying (56.8% +/- 7.4%) in contrast to the response to placebo (37.6% +/- 7.7%) (p less than 0.01). The overall symptoms and symptoms of vomiting were markedly reduced during metoclopramide treatment in contrast to those during placebo treatment. Before the study five patients were constipated (less than three bowel movements per week); during metoclopramide treatment the patients' bowel habits were improved. There was a poor correlation between improved gastric emptying and decreased symptoms. Metoclopramide may improve symptoms of diabetic gastric stasis through two mechanisms: its peripheral effect on gastric smooth muscle, which increases gastric emptying; and its central effects on the chemoreceptor vomiting zone, which decrease nause

REGLAN
Pharmacodynamics/Kinetics

Onset of action: Oral: 0.5-1 hour; I.V.: 1-3 minutes
Duration: Therapeutic: 1-2 hours, regardless of route
Distribution: Vd: 2-4 L/kg; Crosses placenta; enters breast milk
Protein binding: 30% to 40%, primarily to
20014.gif
1-acid glycoprotein
Bioavailability: 80%
Half-life elimination: Normal renal function: 4-7 hours (may be dose dependent)
Time to peak, serum: Oral: 1-3 hours; I.M.: 2-3 hours; I.V.: Within 5 minutes; Rectal: 1-8 hours
Excretion: Urine (70% to 85%, ~19% as unchanged drug); feces (2% to 3%)

Peak -PEPCID

IV Within 30 min.
PO 1 to 3 h.

Members don't see this ad :)
possibly reducing the effects of pulmonary aspiration of gastric contents.[/SIZE]

Possibily is a big word in his context: with an incidence of aspiration of single digit per / 10.000 anesthetics (and morbidity even lower) you're probably looking at a randomized study of several hundred thousand patients to demonstrate a significant effect of anti-acids...

RESULTS:

Both groups of diabetic patients were older than the control group, and insulin-dependent patients had a higher incidence of comorbidities compared with the non-insulin-dependent group. Fasting blood sugar and hemoglobin A1C values were higher in both insulin-dependent and non-insulin-dependent patients. Gastric fluid volumes were similar in control, non-insulin-dependent, and insulin-dependent patients (8.0 +/- 2.6 vs. 9.6 +/- 4.1 vs. 17.7 +/- 2.5 ml, respectively). In insulin-dependent diabetic patients, metoclopramide decreased gastric volume compared with placebo treatment (17.7 +/- 2.5 vs. 7.8 +/- 2.9 ml; P = 0.027). After stratification, a subpopulation of patients with poorly controlled

Possibily is a big word in his context: with an incidence of aspiration of single digit per / 10.000 anesthetics (and morbidity even lower) you're probably looking at a randomized study of several hundred thousand patients to demonstrate a significant effect of anti-acids...

Agree. But in the USA it takes only ONE Aspiration to cost your malpractice carrier Millions of Dollars and make your life a living hell for years.

The choice to use H2 blockers or Reglan is yours. These days half the patients are Obese and have GERD. Now, throw in poorly controlled DM combined with a GA using an LMA and you a perfect set-up for an aspiration case.

The current study,
however, does support the use of prokinetic therapy in
a subgroup of diabetic patients with extremely poor
blood glucose control, because some of these patients
were found to have gastric volumes after preoperative
fasting that could be large enough to produce pulmonary
complications should reflux and aspiration into the trachea
occur after induction of anesthesia.

Look Slim;),

The bottom line is REGLAN and H2 Blockers Do work preoperatively. There is solid Science to show they have an effect on Residual volume and Acidity.

However, we LACK solid, clinical data that they are actually needed on a routine basis. There simply isn't enough clinical studies showing what subgroups, if any, would benefit from the drugs.

As for me, I use them on the OBESE, Diabetic patient with GERD. I especially use them on the poorly controlled Diabetic with GERD.

FYI, since Reglan starts working so quickly you can give that drug in the O.R. right before induction. I sometimes give it as we are hooking up the monitors.
That means 2-3 minutes later we induce GA and the Reglan has had time to do its thing.

4/18/2007 2:00 PM
By Marilyn Tennissen

LMA device for administering anesthesia
A wrongful death lawsuit filed recently in Orange County is not only calling into question the actions of two anesthesiologists, but the constitutionality of the state's civil remedies code as well.

Joann Brown, on behalf of her deceased mother Shirley Brown, filed a lawsuit April 12 against anesthesiologist Dr. Frank Kuang-She Che and nurse anesthetist Michael Ieyoub.

According to the plaintiff's original petition, Shirley Brown, 59, underwent an outpatient gynecological procedure at Memorial Hermann Baptist Hospital in Orange on April 28, 2005.

Che and Ieyoub administered the general anesthesia for the surgery to remove endometrial polyps.

"The surgery itself was uneventful, but at the end of the procedure the patient developed respiratory distress, laryngospasm and hypoxia," the petition states. "Oxygen saturation dropped to as low as 40 percent. A code was called and the patient was intubated with an endotracheal tube and oxygen saturation returned to 100 percent."

Medical records indicate that Brown aspirated stomach contents into her lungs during the procedure and died May 11, 2005, of aspiration pneumonia.

"While under the care and control of the defendants, Shirley Brown continously suffered gross abuse, extensive neglect and undue pain. Mrs. Brown's basic needs were ignored and her dignity was disregarded," the petition states.

The plaintiff alleges that Chen and Ieyoub were negligent because of the way they administered the anesthesia, which was done through a laryngeal mask airway, a device placed into the throat.

In a statement attached to the original petition, Dr. Mark Winik, a board certified anesthesiologist licensed in Maryland and New York, said Brown had several risk factors that should have prompted the anesthesiologists to use a different course of action and administer additional medications.

Winik said Brown's medical records indicate that she was obese, hypertensive and had ischemic heart disease, or a restriction in blood supply to the heart.

Accoring to Winik's statement as an expert for the plaintiff, an obese patient with ischemic heart disease was at an increased risk of aspiration of stomach contents.

"The standard of care … would require the anesthesiologist to administer anesthesia via endotracheal tube as opposed to LMA," Winik stated. "The LMA rests above the vocal cords and provides no protection against aspiration."

The lawsuit also alleges that Chen and Ieyoub were negligent because they failed to administer prophylactic drugs that would have lessened the acidity and volume of gastric secretions in the patient's stomach,
such as Alka-Seltzer, Bicitra, Reglan or Pepcid.

"The afformentioned acts and ommissions of defendants constituted negligence per se and such actions were in violation of the legislative statutes passed for protection of the elderly, under the Texas Health and Safety Code," the petition states. The code says that the elderly may not be physically or mentally abused or exploited, must be treated with respect and dignity and may not be denied care based on sex, age or handicap.

"The harm that befell Shirley Brown while under the care of the defendants was the type of harm these statutes were designed to prevent," the plaintiff alleges.

The suit also alleges that the defendants committed a felony by having removed, destroyed or concealed writings.

In addition, "plaintiffs maintain and contend that the Civil Practice and Remedies Code pertaining to medical malpractice is itself unconstitutional" because it limits damage amounts.

The plaintiff says in particular, the limit on recovery of damages based on the number of plaintiffs and violates due process by "creating uneven or disportionate remedies for families because of the number of family members."

Joann Brown is only child of Shirley Brown.

She is seeking damages for medical expenses, mental anguish, impairment, funeral expenses and loss of companionship.

The wrongful death suit also alleges that defendants acted with malice and conscious indifference and therefore the plaintiff is also seeking exemplary and punitive damages.

She is requesting a trial by jury.

Mike Jacobellis is representing Joann Brown.

The case has been assigned to the 128th District Court in Orange County.

Case No. A07015-C

Alabama Jury Awards $20 Million to Family of Woman Who Died After Breathing Bile During Surgery

At the end of last month, an Alabama jury voted to award $20 million the family of a woman who died during surgery when bile entered her lungs. The wrongful death lawsuit was brought against Coastal Anesthesia, Doctor Randal Boudreaux and Nurse Don Ortego after the January 2006 death of Paulette Pettaway Hall. Specifically, the complaint alleged that the anesthesiologist failed to recognize that Hall had risk factors for breathing fluid into her lungs, as was indicated in her medical records.

Hall was to undergo exploratory surgery to determine the cause of severe stomach pains when she received the anesthesia. After receiving the anesthesia, Hall began to breath bile into her lungs and subsequently died. The lawsuit alleged that the medical staff failed to examine Hall's abdomen or check her medical records, which could have prevented her death.

According to a study in the medical journal Anesthesiology, deaths caused by anesthesia accounted for more than 2,200 deaths between 1999 and 2005. The study also found that 34 deaths each year are attributable to anesthesia, with 46% of those deaths caused by anesthesia overdose. Anesthesia complications, such as Hall experienced, account for 11% of the 34 deaths per year.

Anesthesia Choice leads to $10.5 Million Verdict

by Thomas B. Scheffey
Connecticut Law Tribune
May 21, 2011

Karla Rosa, et al v. Anesthesia Associates of New London, et al.: When 39-year old Karla Rosa was admitted to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London, doctors expected her to go home later that day after her surgery to repair a tiny hernia no larger than a 50-cent piece. But when her husband, Naval petty officer Delmar Rosa, arrived to pick up her up, he was told that complications from anesthesia had left her comatose, in intensive care, with only a 30 percent chance of survival. Shocked, he had to decide whether to bring the couple's daughters, 9 and 11, to visit their mother for what might be the last time.
On the morning of March 27, 2006, Karla Rosa had her pre-surgery exam from anesthesiologist Thomas Miett, who took her medical history. Rosa, he found, was a diabetic, and at 5 feet 4 inches tall and 287 pounds, was morbidly obese. She also had a history of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). According to her lawyer, Sean McElligott of Bridgeport's Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, any one of these three medical conditions made her a good candidate for airway intubation. That means installing a plastic breathing tube that protrudes past the esophagus opening, all the way down into her windpipe. Instead, Dr. Miett gave nurse Jean Rickheimer discretion to choose intubation or another delivery mechanism, if Rosa needed to receive full sedation later in the surgery.
A constant concern in anesthesia is that the patient will regurgitate stomach liquid, and inhale it into the delicate lungs. So why wasn't Karla Rosa intubated? "There was kind of a perfect storm of mistakes," said McElligott.
No tube of any sort was needed at first. The initial light anesthesia Miett prescribed, like the light sleep "cocktail" used for endoscopy, didn't require any sort of airway appliance. However, nurse Richeimer found that Rosa was not responding well to light general anesthesia, and paged doctor Miett, who was busy. Another colleague in Miett's group, Dr. Bart Calobrisi, responded. "He was in a difficult situation," said McElligott, since he had not examined the patient. Calobrisi later testified in a deposition that he did not notice Rosa was obese, because she was draped for surgery.
Without reading her chart or learning about her history from the nurse, he also missed the history of GERD and the fact that she was diabetic. Diabetics sometimes digest food more slowly, and have a higher risk for aspiration -- regurgitation and inhalation of stomach contents. Calobrisi assented to the nurse's request for full general anesthesia.
In an exchange that took less than a minute, McElligott said, Calobrisi also agreed to the use of the LMA device. Nurse Richeimer chose the laryngeal mask airway, or LMA, which is easier to insert. It is also less invasive, delivering air through the throat to the lungs without connecting with the windpipe or sealing off the esophagus. Fully sedated at a "paralytic" level, Rosa did not attempt to reject the airway device. However, she immediately regurgitated stomach liquid and inhaled it, causing destruction of lung tissue and leading to a four-week coma. "When you inhale stomach acid, it leads to a condition which is fatal in 70 percent of cases," said McElligott. "It's very serious, a chemical burn within your lungs."
The treatment for healing is radical. The hospital flew in a Rotaprone bed, that can turn the patient like a rotisserie. A month later, Rosa emerged from her coma with serious neurological problems, and required therapy to re-learn speech and motor functions, McElligott said. Her medical bills were $191,808.
In a 13-day trial before New London Superior Court Judge Emmett Cosgrove, veteran defense lawyer Robert Cooney, of Williams, Cooney & Sheehy in Trumbull, contested causation and said there was no breach of the standard of care. The defense contended Rosa had "occult" pneumonia, which went undetected by everyone, and was the reason for her lung problems. Furthermore, using a laryngeal mask was fine, and within the standard of care, the defense said.
McElligott called upon a highly-regarded neurologist, Daniel Moalli, who treated Rosa. Locally famous, Moalli helped discover Lyme disease and is known for his work with repetitive stress injuries suffered by Electric Boat shipyard workers, McElligott said. Dr. Moalli established Rosa's neurological injuries, which also included nerve damage to her feet. It makes ambulation "like walking on glass," McElligott said.
The plaintiff's experts included pulmonologist Walter Baigelman, from Tufts University in Boston, and anesthesiologist Sheldon Deluty from New York University. Quinnipiac Law School instructor Christina Speisel, author of "Law On Display" was the visuals expert, and worked with still and video illustrators to explain the anatomy and the medical devices involved.
The highest defense offer of settlement was $400,000, and the plaintiff's pretrial demand was $950,000, McElligott said. The jury rendered a defense verdict for Miett individually, but found the practice group liable, and attributed negligence to both nurse Richeimer and Dr. Calobrisi. She died two years before trial of leukemia, and Calobrisi died at 52, in February, just before the trial began.
In his closing arguments, McElligott asked for $50 an hour for the estimated 250,000 waking hours of Rosa's life expectancy, which would have been $12 million. The jury deliberated about seven hours, and awarded about $200,000 in medicals, $2 million in loss of consortium damages to Delmar Rosa, and past non-economic damages to Karla Rosa of $1.85 million. Her future pain suffering damages total $6.5 million, for a total award of $10.5 million, which is evidently the highest personal injury award in New London County History.
Cooney did not return calls for comment.

I bet a few more of you out there are thinking $2.00 worth of Zantac/Pepcid combined with some Reglan isn't such a bad idea after all.;)

According to a study in the medical journal Anesthesiology, deaths caused by anesthesia accounted for more than 2,200 deaths between 1999 and 2005. The study also found that 34 deaths each year are attributable to anesthesia, with 46% of those deaths caused by anesthesia overdose. Anesthesia complications, such as Hall experienced, account for 11% of the 34 deaths per year.

must be some words missing in this paragraph

An Alabama jury has awarded $20 million to the family of a woman who died hours after aspirating bile into her lungs during anesthesia induction at a Mobile, Ala. hospital.
Paulett Pettaway Hall, a 32-year-old wife with two young children, was admitted to Springhill Memorial Hospital on Jan. 11, 2006 for exploratory gastrointestinal surgery. Because of her weight, gastrointestinal and other health problems at the time of the surgery, Hall was at high risk for pulmonary aspiration.
But the anesthesia team failed to take proper aspiration risk precautions, according to David Cain, co-plaintiffs' trial counsel. Instead, a routine induction was used and Hall choked to death on her own bile.
After a nine-day trial, a jury of eight women and four men deliberated only an hour and 20 minutes before unanimously finding Coastal Anesthesia, anesthesiologist Dr. Randall Boudreaux and nurse anesthesiologist Don Ortego liable for Hall's wrongful death.
Under Alabama law, wrongful death damages are entirely punitive.
Mike Worel, lead plaintiffs' trial counsel, said that the case revealed a "very troubling patient safety issue related to the provision of anesthesia service."
During the trial, testimony from the defendants and their experts indicated that although national standards require anesthesia personnel to conduct certain evaluations to ensure patient safety, these standards "are not being followed, and in some instances are being ignored, in what can only be an effort to complete more surgeries," Worel charged.
Risk factors ignored
Plaintiffs' experts testified that Hall had more than 10 factors placing her at risk for pulmonary aspiration, including abdominal extension, severe abdominal pain and a record of nausea and vomiting since she was admitted to the hospital five days prior to the surgery.
In addition, Cain said, Hall was overweight, had a history of gastrointestinal problems and was on narcotic pain relievers, all of which increased the risk of pulmonary aspiration.
Neither Boudreaux nor Ortego, however, examined Hall's abdomen. They didn't even evaluate her medical records, Cain said.
"If they had bothered to do a physical exam, they would have found she had abdominal extension, severe abdominal pain and fluid in her abdomen," Cain said.
Because the risk factors were ignored, he added, Boudreaux and Ortego used a routine induction to administer the anesthesia, rather than what's called a "rapid sequence induction," which is used for patients with a high risk of aspirating stomach contents into their lungs.
Hall aspirated bile into her lungs during the anesthesia induction, and died a few hours later.
"They didn't take the proper precautions in assessing her to identify risk factors that would have indicated she needed a different type of induction technique to prevent her from aspirating," Cain said.
Cain said a physician who testified for the defense acknowledged the standard of care required a rapid sequence induction in a patient at risk for aspiration, but said that Hall was not at risk.
"Our response was: 'You never looked,'" Cain said.
Medical experts for the plaintiffs testified during the trial that national standards require "a complete assessment of the patient, including a review of the patient's medical records and a physical examination, which neither defendant did," Cain said.
Time constraints blamed
During cross-examination, a defense expert said that while the standard of care requires a complete pre-anesthesia assessment, anesthesia physicians and nurses often don't have time to perform such assessments because of the time constraints associated with scheduled surgeries.
The verdict, Cain said, was "particularly important to protect the public, considering these defendants indicated they would continue to treat future patients the same way they treated Mrs. Hall, despite admissions that their treatment fell below the accepted standard of care."
The plaintiffs' lawyers used a variety of demonstratives, including medical books, diagrams and charts, to help jurors understand how drugs are administered during anesthesia, and the risk factors for aspiration.
Medical experts for the plaintiffs included Ronald Wender, co-chair of the department of anesthesiology at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, and Lawrence Repsher, a pulmonologist in Wheat Ridge, Colo.
Cain said his firm attempted numerous times to settle the case prior to trial, but that all offers were rejected by Mag Mutual, the insurance company for Coastal Anesthesia, Boudreaux and Ortego.
An appeal is planned. Defense attorney Wesley Pipes declined comment for this article.
Plaintiffs' attorneys: Mike Worel and David Cain of Cunningham Bounds in Mobile, Ala.
Defense attorney: Wesley Pipes of the Wesley Pipes Law Firm in Mobile, Ala.
The case: Hall v. Coastal Anesthesia; Dec. 9, 13th Judicial Circuit, Mobile, Ala.; Judge Robert Smith.

lets be honest, the outcomes you quote would likely not have been prevented with reglan and pepcid.

Sorry, I don't completely agree. If you are going to LMA a morbidly obese patient with DM then adding Reglan and pepcid may indeed help decrease both the incidence and/or severity of aspiration pneumonia.

I bet the Plaintiff's attorney won't have any problem finding a Board Certified Anesthesiologist to say the exact same thing under oath.

In a statement attached to the original petition, Dr. Mark Winik, a board certified anesthesiologist licensed in Maryland and New York, said Brown had several risk factors that should have prompted the anesthesiologists to use a different course of action and administer additional medications.

We stopped giving bicitra. You guys ever taste that stuff? It's emetogenic in and of itself.

lets be honest, the outcomes you quote would likely not have been prevented with reglan and pepcid.

My previous response was playing devil's advocate. Of course, I wouldn't testify under oath that Reglan and Pepcid would prevent aspiration. But, IMHO, they do work and mitigate the legal risk which I face every day in my practice. In addition, they help decrease acidity and gastric volume.

CONCLUSIONS: Preoperative oral administration of omeprazole (60 mg) or ranitidine (150 mg) reduced residual gastric content volume and increased pH > 2.5,

Metoclopramide, 10 mg orally, stimulated an increase in the rate of gastric emptying (56.8% +/- 7.4%) in contrast to the response to placebo (37.6% +/- 7.7%) (p less than 0.01).

Last edited:
I bet a few more of you out there are thinking $2.00 worth of Zantac/Pepcid combined with some Reglan isn't such a bad idea after all.;)

I wonder how many $millions have been awarded via malpractice lawsuits at the hands of these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj3nhkZUp5w

sevoflurane said:
We stopped giving bicitra. You guys ever taste that stuff? It's emetogenic in and of itself.

I know anesthesiologists who would grab it and chug one after their usual on-call fast food dinner.

I've tasted it. It's not so bad. Sour aftertaste.

It's like the excessively needle-phobic people who are covered with tattoos. How seriously can you take them? I figure most of the people who make faces when drinking the Bicitra don't complain 1/10th as much after they do a shot of $8 per plastic bottle liter of sewer tequila.

04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
There was a recent study (6-8 mos ago) that I came across that actually showed benefits of using an LMA in the morbidly obese...one of the advantages shown was being able to avoid laryngoscopy/paralysis which as you know can be frought with problems in that patient population.

I've used an LMA on several morbidly obese patients without sequelae..the key is to use minimal resp depression stuff(benzos opiods) so they start breathing on their own immediately. Just a stick of propofol, slip it in, crank on a little gas, and as J.P. said, Go With The Flow.

I dont consider time of operation as a determinant of using an LMA or not.

One more thing Venty,

Once the pt is breathing, if the tourniquet is affecting her while she's asleep i.e. resp rate going up you can titrate in some opiod...if you do it in small enough increments (like 25ug fentanyl at a time) she wont stop breathing.

And if BP/HR starts to go up from the tourniquet, as long as you've got >1.3 mac on board use labetolol or something similar for hemodynamic control

First of all, damn Blade you are on the ball but I can't bring myself to read all that stuff. Can you tone it down some? Ha ha JKing.

Secondly, Seinfeld I love your approach. Its exactly like mine. Except I think you misspoke a bit. Bicitra doesn't decrease aspiration risk, it decreases complications once aspiration occurs by decreasing gastric pH, hopefully. I'm sure you know this and were just misspeaking.

Reglan: I give it frequently. It seems to work for me. I have only seen one person have an adverse reaction to it and that was on my ER rotation. It was tardive dyskinesia and it was easily treated with benadryl by myself. BTW, it made me look pretty good to the ER folks bc none of them knew what was going on. I gave 25 mg benadryl and it immediately resolved.

Bicitra, like I said, I do what Seinfeld does. I rarely ever give the crap except to myself when cafeteria heartburn comes on. It works instantly for me. the only time it is given to my pts is when the RN gives it before I have a chance to stop her.

HumNBrd, right now do as your attendings say. But the reason I asked you "why give bicitra do your epidurals" is like others have eluded to here, these pts may vomit with your epidurals (just messing with ya) but they have not lost their airway reflexes so they will not aspirate. Once you enter private practice you will more than likely be told to stop because you are making the pts sick unnecessarily.

Blade, seriously?:eek::poke:

NNT for anti-acids in aspiration prevention is off the chart, it makes no sense to give them but i know you guys in the US love that stuff... kinda weird imho

What are the NNT to treat in high risk patients? I think most NNT numbers probably are calculated using aspiration incidence in overall anesthesia cases, and that isn't really applicable is it since the OP isn't asking about using prophylaxis in everyone, he is asking about high risk patients.

So please post NNT in high risk patients - so we can all understand we are talking about the same thing - then we can make good decisions based on good numbers.

Also, while you are at it, please post the numbers needed to harm with pre-operative zantac, because I bet they are a lot greater than the NNT. So if the NNT (albiet perhaps a large number) is much smaller than the NNH, why WOULDN'T you use it in high risk patients?

I would use zantac on everyone actually if I had the time (60 min previous to surgery) and remembered to do it. It's a well spent 2$ as Blade said.

I actually enjoy the taste, and have taken it with my patients on some rough days ('Cheers!'). My hospital has a similar policy as HumNBrd's, and the L&D nurses give everyone bicitra before epidurals. It never made sense to me, so I generally told the nurses to hold off on giving it before the procedure (and then that lovely elixer find would find its way into the call room fridge, rather than the patient's stomach/L&D floor).

For a couple of reasons. All pregnant women are considered full stomachs regardless of NPO time. In the event of major hypotension from neuraxial placement the patient may have nausea and vomiting. Bicitra increases the gastric pH and hopefully lessen the risk of harm from aspiration. Additionally, if the pt ends up needing a c-section (a GA section is always a possibility) within 3 hours the bicitra is already on board (Bicitra’s effect lasts 2-3 hours).

Look up the duration of effects of Bicitra in a book for me. I don't have access to one at this time.

To my knowledge, it is best given within 1 hour of our planned induction. This is what I was taught, read in a book, and continue to practice.

If it were approaching 2 hours or more (ex: case supposed to start but gets delayed by one or more emergencies), I would probably redose.

In the event of major hypotension from neuraxial placement the patient may have nausea and vomiting.

Consider not bolusing labor epidurals, but instead routinely doing CSEs (either just 15-25 mcg of fentanyl and/or ~2.5 mg of bupivacaine for the intrathecal dose) and then starting the pump as you depart. I cannot remember the last time I had a patient get nauseous, much less puke, after placing an epidural.

Not that I always think this is fair...but you should always take into account, what is "standard of care" because if their is a poor outcome (i.e. Aspiration pneumonia) even after H2 blocker/Reglan/bicitra pretreatment with a RSI and ETT in an obese, poorly controlled diabetic who sleeps on 3 pillows so as not to choke due to his GERD every night...then you can sit in front of the jury and say I did what I can do...not respond by saying Reglan caused dyskinesia in a pt once so I don't routinely give it anymore...NNT may seem inconsequential until there is a bad outcome...does pretreatment with Bicitra really cause you more problems than it's worth? Do the majority of anesthesiologists practicing pretreat CSXNs w/ Bicitra? Then whether or not you like Bicitra...be careful when choosing not to do it...because a sour lemon drop for the pt preop is way better than asp PNA in a new mom anyday...

I'm not being argumentative-I've tasted it-it's gross-but to me-benign compared to the alternative

I agree with you. These threads are for discussion purposes. This why we do a Residency and become Board Certified Physician Anesthesiologists. The decision to use H2 blockers, Reglan, Bicitra, etc. is up to you. I'm sure everyone is aware of the ASA recommendations?

Just remember COMPLICATIONS happen to all of us. I do agree the literature is very weak in PROVING the use of any of these agents will alter outcome. But, the Attorney's are not stupid and convincing a Jury you COULD have given some basic medications which may have saved JOE Q. PUBLIC from possibly dying is a powerful argument in court.

Honestly its a topic i keep going back and forth on. Ill give it for a period of time then i will have a few people puking from giving it and then i stop.

My problem is that this is clear case of practicing medicine based on weak evidence but high risk of litigation. You could go the complete opposite way and put an ETT and do RSI on every pt with BMI over 30 or hx of GERD but this would encompass 90% of my patients. I am sure the incidence of complications related to that would be higher than the true risk of aspiration. In the patients with the highest risk of aspiration (SBO) you cant give any of them and expect any change in risk, go figure.

My last real aspiration event occurred on a acl repair. THe patient, a nurse i knew, requested a spinal. She had a hx of reflux but was "controlled" per her on her BID PPI. With propofol at 20 m/k/m she was talking to the me and the CRNA. Went out to start another room, got called back stat as she was desaturating. She aspirated and was in complete bronchospasm (no crna f up here). Intubated, bronched, albuterol. After surgery she declared that her reflux was worse the past couple of days and was scheduled to get more workup. She was not obese and was not diabetic.

If i let this case jade me i would now be giving it to everyone with a hx of Gerd "controlled" or not. Perhaps i should. I Dont know, but this is what makes medicine such an intellectually challenging specialty.

Honestly its a topic i keep going back and forth on. Ill give it for a period of time then i will have a few people puking from giving it and then i stop.

My problem is that this is clear case of practicing medicine based on weak evidence but high risk of litigation. You could go the complete opposite way and put an ETT and do RSI on every pt with BMI over 30 or hx of GERD but this would encompass 90% of my patients. I am sure the incidence of complications related to that would be higher than the true risk of aspiration. In the patients with the highest risk of aspiration (SBO) you cant give any of them and expect any change in risk, go figure.

My last real aspiration event occurred on a acl repair. THe patient, a nurse i knew, requested a spinal. She had a hx of reflux but was "controlled" per her on her BID PPI. With propofol at 20 m/k/m she was talking to the me and the CRNA. Went out to start another room, got called back stat as she was desaturating. She aspirated and was in complete bronchospasm (no crna f up here). Intubated, bronched, albuterol. After surgery she declared that her reflux was worse the past couple of days and was scheduled to get more workup. She was not obese and was not diabetic.

If i let this case jade me i would now be giving it to everyone with a hx of Gerd "controlled" or not. Perhaps i should. I Dont know, but this is what makes medicine such an intellectually challenging specialty.

Yes. I fully understand your predicament. I am liberal with the use of H2 blocks but more selective with Reglan. Again, you can always give the Reglan right before induction as it starts working in 1-2 minutes. As you know with Decadron there can be some nasty side-effects with Reglan. That said, I still use it and will keep using it as I've never had a patient end up in the ICU after H2 blockers/Reglan which contrasts with several aspiration cases that did not receive these drugs.

My experience tells me CONCLUSIVELY and WITHOUT A DOUBT that these drugs do work to decrease both the risk and severity of aspiration. Of course, medications plus an LMA isn't always the better option compared to an ETT.

The decision is yours.

I tend to give H2 blockers preop for both aspiration prophylaxis (in patients that are at risk) as well as some benefit towards decreasing PONV. If I'm worried about aspiration risk, they definitely get the bicitra as well.

Reglan I'm a bit more judicious with because of they higher incidence of side effects I'd like to avoid.

But really it's all about decreasing the volume and the pH of the contents of their stomach. If I get an obese diabetic patient that just ate a meal 2 hours ago with an open femur fracture, they are getting ranitidine and metoclopramide and bicitra followed by an RSI.