Aspiring Gyn-Onc residents/fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LubDub0824

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like some advice. I am currently a 3rd year medical student and have recently started to consider a career in ob/gyn, specifically to one day specialize in gyn-onc.

I really enjoyed my time during my gyn-onc rotation. I can envision myself as one - which is something I cannot say about any other specialty at this point. I also may be interested in uro-gyn. Though, I do want to keep an open mind while entering the general ob/gyn residency. The reason for this is not because I do not think I'll be content as a generalist, but rather that I will be more satisfied and happier as a gyn oncologist (the irony of this statement, as it is such a sad field).

So I really am looking for current gyn-onc fellows/attendings or aspiring gyn-onc residents - or for any physician in or aspiring to do a fellowship after residency in ob/gyn. I would like advice on the following:
- lifestyle during residency
- least tolerable aspects during residency
- what surprised you the most during residency
- did you ever find yourself not enjoying obstetrics or gyn? And nonetheless, pushed through for the fellowship?
- lifestyle during fellowship
- your opinion on your colleagues - are they the type of people you hang out with/grab beer with/explore the city with?
- what's your life outside of the hospital currently as a resident or a fellow?
- What does the lifestyle of a gyn onc attending look like in academic vs private vs community hospitals?

Thanks so much. I am ofcourse talking with my program directors and fellowship directors already, but I figured I would post this to get an idea of it across the nation.
 
Last edited: