Aspiring Physician-Scientist (Advice & Insight Needed), pls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O.F. Hanson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a first-year undergrad who completed their first semester of college, but I am particularly curious about the timeline between applying to a PSTP/MSTP and graduating from/earning an MD/PhD degree. I wanted to know about how many years it takes to earn the dual degree (7-9 I suppose)?; what is the balance like between MD training versus PhD training?; what does an application even look like? -and the criteria?; what are graduating/degree requirements in a typical MSTP institution?; costs? (Probably a nightmare); what does funding look like?; etc. etc.

I am sure it is different for each institution, but a general perspective on an physician scientist training program would be very helpful! As you can tell, I am still naive about the whole process after undergrad, but i wanted to learn more. Resources would also be really helpful!

If it must be known, I am interested in applying to Duke’s PSTP Program and Vanderbilt’s MD/PhD Program. I wish to pursue genetic therapeutics and cancer research.

Thank-you in advanced!!

Members don't see this ad.

PSTP - residency (after you complete degrees - MD/PhD or MD) - residency stipend is ~60K/year, no tuition costs
MSTP - you obtain a MD and PhD. Your education tuition/fees are paid for, and you receive a stipend ~30 K/year

There are 53 MSTPs across the country. They are competitive but all are looking for the same, primarily training-grant eligible applicants (TGE - i.e.: US citizens or Permanent Residents) with high marks.
PM me and I will provide you with some additional links to orient you on what we are looking for as a community.

Reactions: 1 users
PSTP - residency (after you complete degrees - MD/PhD or MD) - residency stipend is ~60K/year, no tuition costs
MSTP - you obtain a MD and PhD. Your education tuition/fees are paid for, and you receive a stipend ~30 K/year

There are 53 MSTPs across the country. They are competitive but all are looking for the same, primarily training-grant eligible applicants (TGE - i.e.: US citizens or Permanent Residents) with high marks.
PM me and I will provide you with some additional links to orient you on what we are looking for as a community.
Thank-you for the response! I definitely got a lot to learn

Members don't see this ad :)
The dual degree typically takes 7-9. Med school is generally 4 years and will always take the same amount of time at the same institution. However, the time to earn a PhD can vary which is why the time to graduation can vary significantly.

The application process consists of several factors including: GPA, MCAT score, activities (work, volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.), essays, and letters of recommendation. For the MD/PhD route, having a significant amount of research experience with strong letter(s) of recommendation from your mentors is particularly important. Institutions have their own unique requirements in terms of courses and number of letters of recommendation. For the most part, MD/PhD programs will have the same course requirements as their MD school, but may allow/ask for additional letters of recommendation. If your institution has pre-med advising, they can help you make sure you cover most med school requirements during your undergrad.

Requirements to graduate from the programs themselves vary but generally include the requirements of the MD program as well as the PhD program you choose at the institution.

Costs can vary by program. As Fencer mentioned, MSTP program are fully funded. Other MD/PhD programs that are not designated NIH MSTPs will have varying funding structure with some covering full tuition and others only providing funding during the PhD.

In terms of interest in programs, it's still extremely early for you to be thinking about this. But while there are some programs you may find particularly interesting, know that it is not uncommon for applicants to apply to >30 schools. Getting attached to several particular programs can lead to future disappointment.

The last thing I'll add is that you are still extremely early on in your undergrad. While I think it's super amazing that you are already thinking this far in advance, use this time to explore! Of course if you are interested in medicine, do some of the typical pre-med things. But take some time to explore your interests and follow your passions. Do the things that make you happy, even if they don't directly contribute to your career aspirations.

Happy to chat with you and provide more of an applicant's perspective if that is something you are interested in.

Reactions: 1 users
OscarHanson, the AAMC has some worthwhile resources, including a table with information on individual programs.

Reactions: 1 user