Assess my game plan!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MotivatedNonTrad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I am 28 years old with no college or medical experience. I have been working in the semiconductor field as a field service engineer for two years now, and before that I served six years in the U.S. Navy. I started my first semester this week.
I plan to do two years in community college to knock out all the easy stuff, as to not interrupt my quality of life too significantly too soon, as I work to develop the habits requisite to being a successful student later on down the line. I will acquire an associates in science for transfer by the time I am 31. I plan to work this entire time.
From there, I plan to go to a traditional university to finish out my four year, study for the MCAT, and obtain some equivalent work experience before applying to OHSU. When it's all said and done, I'd like to be applying by 33.
I called OHSU and asked for the "recipe", and got exactly what I expected. "Sorry, there's no recipe". So I am turning to you all. What can I do to make myself the best candidate possible? I know I am going into an incredibly competitive field later in life, but I am so very motivated.
So, what can I do or do different to be a competitive candidate? What sort of relevant work experience do you suggest?

Thanks ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on making this huge decision!
This process can be overwhelming when you look at it as a whole so I try to focus on it one step at a time. Your first step is doing the work to make sure you get good grades. While getting good grades try to get to know your professors... ask questions before and after class, and participate during class. You will need letters of recommendation and this will help with that. Just take things one step at a time and keep at it until you get there.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using SDN mobile

A combination of good grades from both CC and university, volunteering at clinic/hospital/shelter, shadowing a dr and a good mcat score is a step in the right direction. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your replies. My SO and I have been doing everything we can do get our ducks in a row for this to become a reality. How soon can I start volunteering? I work a compressed schedule and have no social obligations, so that leaves me with a completely open schedule for 2-3 days a week. All I do is work, exercise, study, and entertain my SO. I want to do whatever it takes to make it!

Move to Texas!

But seriously,
Get a good GPA.
Get a good MCAT. (If your not good at CARS you can start reading/practicing now)
Shadow some doctors.
Volunteer in a hospital.
Do some other volunteering stuff if you can.

Form a relationship with professors to get LORS.

When you apply, apply early. You can also consider DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope for your sake you did not give ohsu ur real name when you asked such a question.

Better apply to more than just OHSU. You will need to apply broadly. Very difficult school to get into. Applying only to one school will set yourself up for failure especially if you have your heart set on OHSU for medical school?