Assistance in choosing a PT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saudb87

Reaction score
Hello! I have been accepted into multiple DPT programs in NYC, and I have narrowed my choices down to NYU, SUNY Downstate, and Hunter College. I was wondering if there are any alumni from these programs, or current students, that can offer insight or their opinions on each program. So far, after speaking to some therapists, most have suggested to go to the cheapest possible school as the degree remains the same, whereas another suggested to go where I would want to go regardless of money, which would be NYU. There is a significant cost difference between NYU and SUNY Downstate/Hunter and that is something i am considering. One thing I have heard from multiple people at SUNY Downstate is that "The education is not the best" and that does effect my decision. But I am wondering if anyone can offer more insight on each program if possible, and give some advice on making a choice. I do not come from a upper class/high income background and money is a major factor for myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I have been accepted into multiple DPT programs in NYC, and I have narrowed my choices down to NYU, SUNY Downstate, and Hunter College. I was wondering if there are any alumni from these programs, or current students, that can offer insight or their opinions on each program. So far, after speaking to some therapists, most have suggested to go to the cheapest possible school as the degree remains the same, whereas another suggested to go where I would want to go regardless of money, which would be NYU. There is a significant cost difference between NYU and SUNY Downstate/Hunter and that is something i am considering. One thing I have heard from multiple people at SUNY Downstate is that "The education is not the best" and that does effect my decision. But I am wondering if anyone can offer more insight on each program if possible, and give some advice on making a choice. I do not come from a upper class/high income background and money is a major factor for myself.
I went to a different school (Marist in Poughkeepsie NY) but regardless - go to the cheapest school possible. I also do not come from a wealthy family, poverty in fact, and being in a cohort of fairly wealthy students really highlights the discrepancies in support.

It is hard for anyone to say one education is "better" than another from another school, since all we know is the program we went to. As long as their students are passing their boards, the education is at least adequate. I am sure some programs are indeed better than others, but unless there is a large difference in cost, I think I'd still choose the cheaper school.

Reactions: 1 user