Assistance needed. What to do now. Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millionairemind92

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

This is my first post to SDN. I have cruised SDN in the past and found a lot of junk information, but also a many helpful tidbits of advice.

I am a Texas resident and 22 years old. I graduated from high school in 3 years and college in 3 years. I graduated from college at age 20 with a 3.95 cumulative GPA, 3.92 science, 4.0+ non-science. I have extensive volunteer, work and shadowing experience as well. I am very friendly and several admissions officers have referred to me as "very holistic."

Only one thing seems to be holding me back, the MCAT! I have taken the MCAT four times thus far and the highest I have scored has been a 25. There has been a positive trend in my scores (17-21-24-25).

Each time I have studied for the mcat, I have done something differently,

1st attempt - self - study - 17
2nd attempt - Kaplan Course with self-study - 21
3rd attempt - Princeton Review Summer Immersion Course - 24
4th attempt - TPR Refresher Course and Premier Tutoring - 25

I have worked incredibly hard to improve my MCAT score each time, but still can not seem to get it competitive enough. I did not work while studying for my last two MCATS and treated studying like a job 30+ hours per week. I just feel that I have exhausted all of my resources.

I want to be an MD more than anything and need advice PLEASE!!!

PS, you all are awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, MD will be quite difficult (and you have identified your reason already). (I am sorry, I really wish I could say something different). I would recommend applying broadly to both DO and the MD in TX, and it might stick. It might also be worth taking one more shot at the new MCAT? Up to you.

Hmm, what's your breakdown? have you determined why you get certain questions wrong for the sciences? For some people it's a memorization problem and for others they have difficulty with the applied questions on the mcat. Clearly from your grades you seem like someone who is really smart. Another thing is those companies sometimes give really hard exams so that you show improvement when you take the real thing. Have you taken any practice AAMCs? Those are the best comparisons to the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take one more crack at it and if you can't break 28 apply DO.

You have a solid shot at DO. No need to worry so much.

Score breakdown on highest - 8, 8, 9. Thanks guys.

Aim for TCOM. I suggest you contact TCOM, let them know your MCAT score breakdown and GPA and ask if they think you have a good shot.

How long has it been since you've taken the MCAT? I might just wait for the first few scores to expire, beef up your EC's in the meantime and ace the new MCAT.