Assisting or Shadowing preferred?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimplySwt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, like I've mentioned before, I'm thinking of doing the Dental Assisting program at Bryman. But, what do you all prefer is best, assisting or shadowing? Especially when it comes down to admissions and things like that. Also, if I were to complete the program and let's say I get a part-time job as a dental assistant, should I still seek in shadowing to earn some shadwoing hours? THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

assisting > interning > shadowing

of course you have to factor in time, if you need a letter of rec. to assist you have to finish a 3mo intern program (at least with the dents i talked to), while shadowing is much easier and you can probably get a letter after 3 weeks, maybe less.

So, like I've mentioned before, I'm thinking of doing the Dental Assisting program at Bryman. But, what do you all prefer is best, assisting or shadowing? Especially when it comes down to admissions and things like that. Also, if I were to complete the program and let's say I get a part-time job as a dental assistant, should I still seek in shadowing to earn some shadwoing hours? THANKS!

If you are serious about dentistry, you might be better served by taking upper level science courses or dentally related courses such as physiology, anatomy, histology, microbiology, cell/molecular biology and pharmacology. These will be, by far, more beneficial during dental school than years of dental assisting.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are serious about dentistry, you might be better served by taking upper level science courses or dentally related courses such as physiology, anatomy, histology, microbiology, cell/molecular biology and pharmacology. These will be, by far, more beneficial during dental school than years of dental assisting.

I agree! If you want to be a dental assistant, then become one. But if you're in college and want to be a dentist, I don't see a single reason why you would become a dental assistant over shadowing. Don't forget, the purpose is not to be exposed to as many techniques before applying, but to the general structure of a practice to see what you're getting into. my .02

I'll be starting my second year of my undergrad. courses this fall, I've just read around that assisting is much more productive than shadowing and helps you out once you get int dental school because you will get more out of it. I just don't know if it's worth it for how much it costs for the program. So I'll take shadowing or interning into thought. Thanks!

they don;t really care about the difference

With shadowing, the dentist knows that you are eager to learn and will go out of his way to show you things. As an assistant, they assume that is what you want to do and youre responsibility takes over their job of teaching you. However if the doctor know you are doing it in preparation for dental school, he will teach you things as well. I've done both. For me, assistant was better because it was basically shadowing + having responsibility.

-Cyrus

I took quick dental assisting course from OC Dental Academy in Orange County CA that cost me $2,000 and it was only 10 weeks. (Every Saturday from 8-5) From that, I got a job as a dental assistant. I have been working in the field for over a year as I apply to dental schools. The training I have gotten working in the field as an assistant is invaluable. The hands on experience, working with a team of professionals, understanding dentistry, working on patients, I know will help me in dental school.

I strongly suggest you go the dental assisting route. There is no reason why you cannot shadow at the same time. I work in a general dentists office and he is happy to send me to all of his refering dentists that he has great relationships with. They are happy to let me shadow. I am intruduced to all of the specialties and it is helping me see what kind of dentistry I want to do.

I checked into the Bryman, very costly and too long of a course. Look for the shorter courses, they are more effecient.

Good Luck!:)

I've been trying to find a cheaper program from other places, but they're much longer than what bryman has to offer. Bryman is waaay to pricey! How'd you go about looking for a cheaper/shorter program or course? Thanks for your help!