Associate dean of admissions asked to keep in contact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lissadawynn

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Has anyone contacted a dental school they were extremely interested in and had an advising meeting with them? I had one today with my top pick school and he asked me to keep in contact. My application cycle is next year not this year. Just curious if anyone else did the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've known a lot of people in a similar position due to my SMP being connected with a school. It's a good place to be in just work on what they want you to work on. Try to maintain a good relationship by asking for updates or advice when the application cycle starts.

Thank you for the response! It caught me off guard because I was highly advised against repeat contact with admissions but then he straight up told me to stay in contact and give him periodic updates for the rest of the year leading up to my application cycle. (I’m taking my DAT this fall)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response! It caught me off guard because I was highly advised against repeat contact with admissions but then he straight up told me to stay in contact and give him periodic updates for the rest of the year leading up to my application cycle. (I’m taking my DAT this fall)
It's a really good place to be in. I would still try to contact other schools and maximize your chances. I'd say repeated contact is emailing just for the sake of emailing. He is trying to mentor you on some level so update him with DAT scores and questions for when you apply. If you go above and beyond what he asks of you then you should be good to go for that school.

how were you able to talk to the dean of admissions? did you just email them?

how were you able to talk to the dean of admissions? did you just email them?

I called the school and asked and they gave me his email and I emailed him expressing my interest in their school and requested an informal meeting to go over where I stand and what can I do for the next year to be a strong applicant next year. He responded almost immediately and scheduled a 45 min meeting with me. We talked about my academia history, where I’m currently at and what he wants me to specifically do to get an interview. He gave me really good advice. He also asked me to contact a lady in the admissions department and come out and do a tour in June.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
don't contact them unnecessarily repeatedly, like "where am i on the waitlist" and the like

sounds like you made a good impression and they want to help and support you...

Reactions: 1 users
Good job. Know your value to the schools. I always enjoyed making these connections with prospective applicants when I could. Networking can help you.

Thank you. It was very enlightening to be able to speak directly with someone who deals directly with the admission of incoming students. The advice he gave me was very detailed and extremely valuable. I am glad I made the decision to just reach out.