Can you keep in touch with admissions people using LinkedIn or is that creepy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiikookie

PrePod
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to do my best to leave a good impression for the admissions at my too school, would contacting them using LinkedIn be okay?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on why you want to reach out to "me" on LinkedIn. As an admissions professional, my LI is for my professional development, so reaching out to me on admissions questions about your application would probably result in me telling you "use the admissions general emailbox." Now, some may use it for networking PRIOR to applying but not during the application process, so you need to ASK FIRST (this was in fact the way I had used it). Same thing will go for faculty who want to promote their recent publications or leadership involvement with professional societies... not on admissions unless they talk about big trends. But also again, ASK FIRST.

There are some admissions professionals I know who will share their cell phone numbers (!) with prospective applicants. If you get one of those golden tickets, use it very wisely.

That said, because of that rule that LI is for professional development, I do encourage prospective applicants to reach out to any current students or recent graduates from the schools on your list. Expect the same once you get into schools. With an effective greeting, you can go far in getting insights about the schools you want to attend.

Reactions: 2 users