Aug 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hello, I'm an international medical student, trying to find out just how likely my dream of doing Neurology residency in the US is.

The whole process is still a few years away, but I want to be prepared and to know what my options/chances are. My college is on the IMED list, but is not recognized by the MBC, so I guess that'd rule out any kind of residency program in California. I currently have a green card (could have gotten dual citizenship before I was 18, but my parent's weren't really interested in starting the whole process). So, considering that, I think that I could do the USMLEs.

I feel fairly confident that if I study hard enough, I can get decent grades on the tests; however, I have basically no research experience. I have read that many applicants (if not all) have some papers under their names, so that is kind of worrying. I think I could get letters of recommendation by some professors/physicians in my country, but considering that my university isn't exactly prestigious, would they be worth anything over there? I don't feel there's anything extraordinary about me.

Perhaps I could apply for a less competitive speciality, but Neurology really fascinates me. Or perhaps this isn't a likely dream, in which case doing medicine in my country would still be nice. Is there anything I can do to increase my chances?

Thank you, and I hope that my English isn't half bad. :p

Last edited:
About the Ads