At a loss

Started by Now What
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Now What

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need some advice.

Second year applying but only had 2 interviews despite applying to 25+ programs, both told me that my chances were poor.

IMG from community program.

10 publications. Mostly case reports, 2 second author AJC.

1 book chapter. 2 abstracts.

Some post-residency research.

Should I bother applying again?
 
Need some advice.

Second year applying but only had 2 interviews despite applying to 25+ programs, both told me that my chances were poor.

IMG from community program.

10 publications. Mostly case reports, 2 second author AJC.

1 book chapter. 2 abstracts.

Some post-residency research.

Should I bother applying again?

OF course!! If Cardiology is what you want!! Why did you apply only to 25+ prog being an IMG in a community prog? I would apply to 100+ next time as someone suggested..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Out of all my applications I only got 20-25% of my interviews and I'm a US grad from an average university residency program so definitely apply to a lot more programs.
 
You can give up and do something else, or do something more to improve your application besides research. Apply to a lot more programs, go get a job as a hospitalist-type that works the "chest pain ER" or maybe do one of those echo or CHF fellowships that takes people who haven't done cards fellowship. However, I think one has to face the fact that there are some people, particularly IMG's from community programs, who aren't really going to get a cards spot. Are you willing to blow another couple of years trying, or would you rather bail and do another fellowship like nephro, pulm/critical care, or endocrinology with a lipid/cholesterol focus or something?