At Long Last

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bachboy123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I write this after having posted in this section several times, and used the suggestions to help improve my application and reapply to medical school.
At long last I have achieved what I set out to do and received an acceptance from my medical school of choice. I by no means wish to sound like i'm bragging only to convey to others that reapplying can and will result in a successful admission to medical school if you really want it and really work at it.:thumbup:
Upon graduating I had a 'less than stellar' GPA, some good extracurriculars but nothing that directly relates to the medical profession (like EMT or hospital volunteer, that kind of thing). I had good MCAT's but not good enough to make up for a lackluster GPA. Like everyone else who posted on the Reapplication string, I worked extremely hard on my application. I made a few mistakes in timing, and perhaps others in how I highlighted the finer points of my application. I received NO invites for interviews. Week by week i got rejection letters that all lamented their inability to include me in further consideration for admissions. I was disheartened, really frustrated, and embarrassed. I had worked incredibly hard and this was the first time that I had experience (What i would classify as) major failure. :(
After a short grieving time, I started to get my act together and went back to my application. I went back to EVERY school that would talk to me and either called or emailed their admissions department asking for an honest analysis of the weaknesses of my application. I contacted my premed advisor and arranged some phone interviews (I cannot thank her enough for what i did). I asked friends, my girlfriend (and future spouse), and relations for their input. I diligently took notes and created a plan to address these weaknesses. I retook the MCAT's and studied harder and more effectively than I'd ever studied in the past. I pursued a year long graduate course and sought out volunteer opportunities that very directly addressed the weaknesses that i had discovered during my review process.
(A note about the graduate program: I applied to the regular Special Masters Programs (SMP's) at schools like Drexel, Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin, and a new one at New York Medical college. Ultimately, however, I opted to pursue an SMP that didn't focus exclusively on medical courses but rather on Nutrition (at Columbia P&S, google: IHN and take a look at the masters program, it gets my recommendation). I think this actually worked in my favor since it gave me a lot of really interesting things to discuss in interviews and a foundation of knowledge in something that i wouldn't have otherwise studied. if you're looking at SMPs, it may be worth looking outside the box.)
When I reapplied i was under no illusions that it would be an uphill fight. I applied to osteopathic medical schools and was much more realistic about where and how many schools to apply to. I submitted EVERYTHING as soon as possible (i.e. in june). My recommendations were done in march and even with that much advanced notice, there were still problems in getting the correct letters sent to schools :scared:. I waited, and sweated, and continued to do things to help build up my medical application. I read every article i could about medical admissions, what to do to show you're interested, how to prepare for interviews, conventional interview questions that I could develop answers for, etc.. I was ecstatic to finally have some offers and was relaxed yet animated during the interviews.
Yesterday i heard back from one of my top medical schools. After 3+ years of working at this goal, piece by piece, and enduring the frustration that comes with an unsuccessful application cycle, there was nothing like the feeling of finally knowing that i'm in somewhere. It was TOTALLY worth all the effort that i put in, COMPLETELY. I had to wait months to hear about a response following the interview, but to know that i'm in and never have to do this again. it's amazing.
Getting into med school is a bitch. there's no way around that fact. it's incredibly competitive, expensive, and stressful. it takes it's toll on everything in your life (much like a career in medicine will, i suppose) and it's certainly not for the uncommitted or fainthearted.
But if you're on the SDN forums, and you're considering reapplication, then medical school and a career as a physician IS something that you want. NEVER EVER loose sight of that. Through the frustration and the challenges NEVER forget that this rediculously difficult career is rewarding, truly rewarding. you CAN and WILL do it if you want to. whether you get in the first, second, third, or tenth time, it doesn't matter. you end up in the same place with the doctorate. MD/DO, it doesn't matter. you serve the same patient body and have the same goal of keeping people alive and healthy.
I'm walking on cloud 9 right now and my only hope is that you can/are/will do it too.
I sincerely apologize if i sound like a self-absorbed, pompous jackass (I assure you I try not to be :oops:) The past 24 hours have been absolutely superb and after having posted about the trials and tribulations of the process i wanted to post something positive. Thank you for this indulgence.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your encouraging words! Best of luck to you in medical school. It looks like you gave your heart into the process and it finally paid off. :thumbup:

congrats....frame that letter as a personal badge of honor, then take it down and trade it for your medical degree. I've been down a similar path and it makes every day in med school so much sweeter. good luck and enjoy the marathon!

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations on your acceptance!

Similar experience -the part that I most heartily agree with is speaking with every school that one has applied (unsuccessfully) to and requesting feedback, there were so many, many things I learned as part of this process that I never would have thought of on my own, far beyond "improve your gpa, mcat, and get more clinical experience".

Also part of this experience gave me more practice in listening. It might SEEM irrelevant to gain non-clinical volunteer experience in addition to clinical volunteer experience, but if several admissions directors say they value this, then it would be wise to follow their advice rather than try to convince them this is not really relevant to becoming a great physician.

Congratulations! You give me some hope. This is my first time applying and after some last minute research I've realize I made some mistakes. I feel that there is a chance that I might have to reapply next year. I just recently submitted my secondaries in about a week ago. My stats are not that great. 3.48 SciGPA; 3.46 cGPA with a 23 on the mcat. I am applying to DO schools only. As I did more research I realize that each school receives on average 2-3 thousands of applications per year and only have about 100-240 seats available. Obviously, to have a good chance of getting your applications looked at you had to have a strong application. This, I feel I may be lacking. What were your stats like the first time you applied? Worse case senario if I do not get in this year what do you suggest I do to improve the strenghten my application?

stn
the 23 MCAT score is awfully low...I think it is below the average for test takers so you need to figure out how to get yourself on the "good" side of the bell curve. I recommend studying up for the MCAT for several months, then retake. Honestly if you can't pull the MCAT up to mid to high 20's I would worry about your keeping up with the medical school work...it's brutal so studying for the MCAT is good preparation. Also, for DO schools I think clinical experience is very key...so keep up with the work or volunteer stuff.