At what age will you enter dental school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

At waht age will you enter (have entered) DS?

Votes: 11 4.6%

Votes: 21 8.7%

Votes: 49 20.3%

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 24+

Votes: 121 50.2%

• Total voters

mityaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
like the title says.

Lets make a breakdown by age

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
25, but will turn 26 in august

use the graph as well

In my opinion this poll is poorly constructed, seeing that the average age of a matriculating dental student is 24. This means that the "24+" will be the most popular choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry guys,

i wasn't sure about the spread of the ages. can i edit it now?

In my opinion this poll is poorly constructed, seeing that the average age of a matriculating dental student is 24. This means that the "24+" will be the most popular choice.

sorry guys,

i wasn't sure about the spread of the ages. can i edit it now?

I like the poll's age ranges ahha makes me feel better about my age (hurrah for the 24+)

I will be 26. But what i am curious about is, what was everyone doing all these years (in my case 4 years) before they matriculated? and do you think those older (like me) who have been out of school for a while, will be in a major disadvantage?

:)

33 (assuming I get in this year)

I don't feel I'm at a disadvantage at all. I'm much more mentally prepared than I was in my 20's, and looking forward to being the 'wise one' of my class :)

For the past 10 years, I've been working - mainly at Johns Hopkins Hospital (research).

I will be 26. But what i am curious about is, what was everyone doing all these years (in my case 4 years) before they matriculated? and do you think those older (like me) who have been out of school for a while, will be in a major disadvantage?

:)

25 in April....I always expected to start when I was 23...oh well, I guess Im wiser now!

25 in April....I always expected to start when I was 23...oh well, I guess Im wiser now!
Haha you are. I'm 23 and feel like a baby. Does some loving couple want to adopt me and support me through dental school? :D

^ lol

But i dont think people that wait a few years are at any disadvantage. They are more mature. I am 21 now and tend to think that im mature, but i thought the same thing when i was 18!!!! lol at that

I thought I was mature @ 25, and looking back...well...maybe.
:cool:

It's all relative I suppose, not to mention very dependent on the individual, as some 20 year olds are more capable of responsibility than some 30 year olds.

^ lol

But i dont think people that wait a few years are at any disadvantage. They are more mature. I am 21 now and tend to think that im mature, but i thought the same thing when i was 18!!!! lol at that

20... It sucks. I won't be able to go out with ppl until five months into the first year, that is if there is any time for that anyways ha

20... It sucks. I won't be able to go out with ppl until five months into the first year, that is if there is any time for that anyways ha

lol, there's always time to enjoy yourself :D...I completely forgot the states and needing to be 21 though. Guess I'll have to put off clubbing for a few months :p

we're in the same boat pretty much. hey maybe we'll get better grades than them as we sit home studying to suppress our jealousy.

20 . . . sorry wont be going out to the bars

Lol how do you guys enter at the age of 19 ?? WTHHHHH

I was wondering the same thing too...as far as I know, the huge majority of people graduate high school around 17-18, and then if you go to a 4-year university afterwards (which is what most dschools require), that puts you at like 21-22...how are people <19, 19, and 20 entering dschool? I'm confused lol

I was wondering the same thing too...as far as I know, the huge majority of people graduate high school around 17-18, and then if you go to a 4-year university afterwards (which is what most dschools require), that puts you at like 21-22...how are people <19, 19, and 20 entering dschool? I'm confused lol

I'm just going to assume the rest of the people around 19/20, like myself, are attending 4-year universities, but never had the intention to complete the 4 years to obtain a degree. Some schools allow you to apply during your second year, whereas most require you to complete at least 3 years worth of credits. We took the initiative to apply early (applying during my 3rd year atm), rather than later, and just hoped for the best :thumbup:

Some people do it by working hard. You skip 2 or more grades because they don't really teach you much in elementary school or high school. So it's very easy to skip grades.

Others do it by taking summer courses.

You skip 2 or more grades because they don't really teach you much in elementary school or high school.

That's it. For me anyway, I skipped a couple grades in elementary school. And took easy college courses for credit in high school so i could have graduated last year. But i decided on dentistry a little late and decided to stay for my fourth year.

so i'm guessing some of them are graduating college early. four years isn't necessary anymore it seems :)

16, I know, I'm barely legal . . . tee hee. . .

Some people do it by working hard. You skip 2 or more grades because they don't really teach you much in elementary school or high school. So it's very easy to skip grades.

I see.. thats funny how I've never met anyone like that throughout my 16 years of school hahaha

You're joking right..?

I really feel sorry for some of ya'll who are starting at less than 20 y/o. Ya'll really missed out on "college".

I was just glossing over requirements for the boards the other day - don't you have to be 21 minimum to even be a certified dentist?

I was homeschooled so I skipped a few grades here and there haha. I turn 20 on Thursday and it's gonna be such a long year...ugh

Umm graduated high school at 16. Entered college at 16. Will be graduating in may at 19. Entering D-school at 19... always knew what I wanted