At what point do I give up on General Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedIverson

OMS-I
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically my story is as follows: I'm a 4th yr DO student - Loved Gen Surg but everyone told me not to do it, I thought EM was the field for me, and after 2 weeks of auditioning I dropped it and picked up Gen Surg again. Took COMLEX 2 and STEP 2 last week. Waiting for results literally the day before ERAS is viewable by programs. At this time I have 1 Gen Surg Chair letter IN, and 2 other surgery (ortho and gen surg) letters that I'm hoping come in by this weekend. I have three General Surgery auditions at community DO hospitals from October to December.

My Question: At what score threshold do I drop Gen Surg? I'm willing to do a Prelim if it means I have a shot at Gen Surg. I'm willing to take step 3 early/ Comlex 3 early, whatever it takes to maximize my chances at this point. If there is a point of no return I will accept it and just go for an IM program.
 
At this point I think it would be better to just full steam ahead, regardless of score. And then just have a back up plan in the back pocket just in case