At what point does medical school get easier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Angriest Bird

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about this today. When I was a first year, upperclass folks told us "second year is better."

No it isn't. We are just more adapted to suffering. It's all about giving up hobbies and making sure your living schedule is in "in-sync" with the curriculum. For those who got relationships, either break up or get married before it's too late.

I'm 2nd year now, and from all the threads I've read from this forum, 3rd is absolutely no joke. You don't know what you are doing. You are squeezed between many layers of the hospital hierarchy. And you got to kiss asses. I really hope I've got the wrong impression.

Everyone says 4th year is a blast. I'm still being very skeptical about that. I really hope that's when it goes down hill. But what's the point of making 2nd year humanly impossible but 4th year completely laid back? My parents keep asking this question and I have no answer.

Residency, 80 hours a week. At least you get paid. At least you don't take exams anymore. And at least you know what you are talking about. But considering I'll be 26 and most likely I won't have a serious date by that time, I don't know.

I'm not depressed or pessimistic. I just want to know, if medical school is the "activation energy curve," where does the peak lie? So at least I can hope for something.

Members don't see this ad.

Granted I'm only in med school, but I would say intern year is probably the peak. The clinical year is tough...you work really long days, you have to read when you're not working or sleeping, you have to post on SDN when you're taking a break from studying for your surgery shelf (case in point)...but on the other hand it's a lot more fun. You're actually practicing medicine to a greater extent and learning stuff about patient care you never learned before. Some people like the basic science years, some like the clinical year more...it all depends on how you are. Intern year I've heard is just a lot of work in a "thankless job." And you earn minimum wage.

Oh, and you do have to take tests in residency...not as many, but you have to pass your boards to become a licensed physician.

Anyway, best of luck. You really will be fine!

Personally I don't think there is a 'peak.' It is a challenging field and every year the bar is raised higher than the last. Only when you are an attending who has been practicing for a few years do you become comfortable enough in your craft to fall in a routine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering about this today. When I was a first year, upperclass folks told us "second year is better."

No it isn't. We are just more adapted to suffering. It's all about giving up hobbies and making sure your living schedule is in "in-sync" with the curriculum. For those who got relationships, either break up or get married before it's too late.

I'm 2nd year now, and from all the threads I've read from this forum, 3rd is absolutely no joke. You don't know what you are doing. You are squeezed between many layers of the hospital hierarchy. And you got to kiss asses. I really hope I've got the wrong impression.

Everyone says 4th year is a blast. I'm still being very skeptical about that. I really hope that's when it goes down hill. But what's the point of making 2nd year humanly impossible but 4th year completely laid back? My parents keep asking this question and I have no answer.

Residency, 80 hours a week. At least you get paid. At least you don't take exams anymore. And at least you know what you are talking about. But considering I'll be 26 and most likely I won't have a serious date by that time, I don't know.

I'm not depressed or pessimistic. I just want to know, if medical school is the "activation energy curve," where does the peak lie? So at least I can hope for something.

what part of first and second year do you hate? if you hate the lectures, sitting around doing nothing, and constant tests then you will probably like 3rd and 4th year better. There are fewer exams 3rd and 4th year -and- you are working with patients... you are out of the classroom and actually doing something.

however, if you like the laid back lifestyle of first and second year- esp. if you are allowed to watch lectures from home and set your own schedule, then 3rd may suck for you. It is true that during 3rd year, you generally have no idea what's going on (at least in the beginning). You just got done with step 1 and you think you at least have a good handle on the info until you realize you once again you know nothing compared to everyone else(4th years, interns, residents, and attendings) and are STILL at the bottom of the totem pole in the hospital. however, 3rd year is great because you don't really have any responsibility. Your only job is to learn and put fourth effort... it doesn't really matter if you screw up... you always have the excuse, "hey- i'm just a student!"

i hear 4th year is good (at least at my school) because we only have 2 months worth of required rotations (ambulatory and emed), then it is all electives. Unless you are interested in surgery, most of these electives will consist of 40 or less hours per week with no call.... and very few exams, besides step 2cs/ck. You will also spend a portion of it traveling and going to interviews.

Intern year sucks because they work you like a dog. Generally, it gets a little better each year after intern year.

March 15 (match day) of 4th year. From then on it's just like a vacation, but you are paying for it.

In my opinion, 2nd year was better than first year, and so far, 3rd year is very different from but about as good as 2nd year. It is very difficult to feel comfortable because as soon as you learn the ropes of a specialty and the system at a hospital, you are shipped off to new surroundings where you lack medical knowledge, experience, knowldge of the system, and personal contacts.

The opening poster is clearly wants to do as little work as possible and get maximum benefit. I do not frown upon this attitude, but unfortunately, being a medical student doesn't compliment it. There are many rewards in medicine: respect, money, social interdependence, intellectual challenge, etc...but these things come with much effort and saccrifice. I think that individuals who don't get some degree of satisfaction out of medicine for its own sake are likely to remain unhappy.

Whoever told you 2nd year is better was probably just jerking your chain. 3rd year is a blast even though it's long hours; much less hardcore study time because you absorb so much just working. 4th year is great because you get control of your schedule, get 3+ months off, and pretty much know what you're doing and what's expected of you. Chin up, it really does get better.

4th year is effing amazing. And they make it lax -- to answer your question -- because we need time to interview, take Step 2, and such. And do cushy rotations like radiology, ethics committee, and "back to the classroom.";)

In terms of difficulty, MS-III > MS-II > MS-I > MS-IV.

But residency > med school.

I think you are confusing two different concepts -- easier and better. IMHO your upper classmen were correct and second year was better. But it sure wasn't easier. If you equate "easier" with "better" medicine is a very bad field to be going into -- a physician's life never gets easy. But if you equate "better" with "more interesting", you probably will understand what the upperclassmen are suggesting. First year is basic science in the abstract. Second year starts to put things together into something medically relevant. Third year you start to apply concepts to real life situations. But you will be logging many more hours than second year, so I wouldn't say easier. 4th year will be fewer hours in the hospital than 3rd year, but you have the added pressure of applying and interviewing for residency. Then residency makes med school look like a piece of cake.

Med School never becomes easy. You just learn how to deal with it. 2nd year you find a way to study that doesn't take 18 hours a day. 4th year is great because even though some of the rotations are every bit as challenging you actually have some idea of how to be treating the patient. That and you get the little 4th year bonuses. Like today my attending basically said screw work so here I am with a 3 day weekend:D Had this been 3rd year he would of taken off and the residents would of told me to come in and work anyway, they may have thrown in weekend rounding just for fun:(.