At what point on transcript is it OK for an upward trend to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUc10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was hoping that my grades progressively getting better would somewhat negate the horrible first semester of college I had. Sophomore year my sem. gpas were 3.5+ but last semester that significantly dropped down to a 2.9. I was taking Orgo and focusing on that and I got B's in 2 classes I would normally get easy A's in. So I'm a lot more focused this semester and I'm certain I will do well again but even if I do great this semester did last semester kill the upward trend? Now it might seem more like I'm just up and down and can't stay consistent.

If it matters, though I'm a junior now I won't be applying until next summer because It's going to take me 5 years for undergrad. So I do have this summer and another 2 semesters before application period.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not all necessarily about upward trends; adcoms can also see aberrations, such as if you just happen to have one really rough semester. It won't kill you as long as you do well from here on out to show that it's the other 7 semesters that should be seen as the "real" you, not that one. It may come up in your interviews, something like, "why did someone with such an otherwise stellar academic record have this one bad semester?" But as long as you have a strong overall cGPA and BCPM, they won't overly analyze the specifics when determining whether to give you an interview, and probably not when making a decision either.

So I was hoping that my grades progressively getting better would somewhat negate the horrible first semester of college I had. Sophomore year my sem. gpas were 3.5+ but last semester that significantly dropped down to a 2.9. I was taking Orgo and focusing on that and I got B's in 2 classes I would normally get easy A's in. So I'm a lot more focused this semester and I'm certain I will do well again but even if I do great this semester did last semester kill the upward trend? Now it might seem more like I'm just up and down and can't stay consistent.

If it matters, though I'm a junior now I won't be applying until next summer because It's going to take me 5 years for undergrad. So I do have this summer and another 2 semesters before application period.

At what point on transcript is it OK for an upward trend to start?

As soon as you see the need for an upward trend is the short answer. The long answer is that you need to get the best grades in every semester and not worry about trends up or down. You have some difficulties and you get those difficulties solved. The "trend-thing" will take care of itself. The overall uGPA is going to be your key not just a couple of semesters going up or down. Work hard at every opportunity and put the past behind you. Every new class is a chance to achieve excellence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freshman Semester GPAs: 3.4 and 3.2
Sophmore Semester GPAs: 3.3 and 2.6 :)eek:)
Junior Semester GPAs: 3.5 (****ing 89.4% in physics kept me from a 3.73 :() and I'm doing well in all my classes this semester. Fingers crossed for a 4.0.

I made some poor decisions my first two years. I pulled mostly A's/Bs in my core classes until I pulled C in physics I, D in physics II, and C in orgo I. Turning it around now. Best part is, I'm doing my actual major now. I find the classes to be incredibly interesting so it's much easier to focus and earn better grades.

Upward trends are nice, but if an upward trend starts right after you finish up the prereqs or once it's clear you started taking lots of fluff courses, then it's probably not going to wow anybody.

Upward trends are wayyy overrated. I'd be more concerned about the overall GPA. If you were comparing two applicants and one had a 3.7 with a downward trend and another had a 3.65 with an upward trend, that 3.7 is still better than the 3.6. The numbers speak for themselves.

I don't know? At what point in time is it good to lose your virginity? The sooner the better of course.
:laugh:

I think that as long as you show the upward trend and it's not all fluff courses, you'll be fine. I'd say 1.5 years minimum

Upward trends are important because some medical schools put more weight on your junior and senior year performance then your first two years.

This is straight from an Adcom from a great school, but I doubt that every school is like this.

Upward trends are wayyy overrated. I'd be more concerned about the overall GPA. If you were comparing two applicants and one had a 3.7 with a downward trend and another had a 3.65 with an upward trend, that 3.7 is still better than the 3.6. The numbers speak for themselves.
That's the worst argument ever. :laugh: 3.7 vs 3.65? At least make a more compelling argument with your assertion. That upward trend could be someone who studied for the MCAT, volunteered and took upper-level hardcore engineering courses and the other person took intro to cooking/working out/art and no EC's.

I disagree.

Generally, course work and course load increase as you progess through upper-level courses. I would much rather see someone excel during their upper-level work.

Freshman Semester GPAs: 3.4 and 3.2
Sophmore Semester GPAs: 3.3 and 2.6 :)eek:)
Junior Semester GPAs: 3.5 (****ing 89.4% in physics kept me from a 3.73 :() and I'm doing well in all my classes this semester. Fingers crossed for a 4.0.

I made some poor decisions my first two years. I pulled mostly A's/Bs in my core classes until I pulled C in physics I, D in physics II, and C in orgo I. Turning it around now. Best part is, I'm doing my actual major now. I find the classes to be incredibly interesting so it's much easier to focus and earn better grades.

haha i like your username (reminds me of myself). and your stats remind me of myself too...

Freshman: 3.4 and 3.5 (but an F in Gchem Lab and a C in Precalc and Orientation)
Sophomore: 3.2 (C in Orgo) and...TBA

i think i'm doing pretty well so far this semester though...this would be a great time for my upward trend to kick in. :rolleyes: i'm retaking Gchem lab this semester and hopefully i will make an A in Orgo and Stats. That should make my science GPA go up a bit i think...

do classes that you failed and then retook count in your science GPA? like would i count Gchem lab twice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know? At what point in time is it good to lose your virginity? The sooner the better of course.

what if I'm religious?

I disagree.

Generally, course work and course load increase as you progess through upper-level courses. I would much rather see someone excel during their upper-level work.

Agreed to an extent. You can't take many 300 and 400 level courses until you're at least a junior so most of us will definitely be taking more difficult courses in later semesters. That being said, some people that are applying definitely want to pad their stats and if you see thier gpa junior year was a 3.7 without looking at the transcript you might not see the fact that the student took ballroom dancing and intro to america which makes a big difference.

Thanks everybody.

do classes that you failed and then retook count in your science GPA? like would i count Gchem lab twice?

for allopathic schools, yes. :(
for osteopathic schools, no.

what if I'm religious?

Agreed to an extent. You can't take many 300 and 400 level courses until you're at least a junior so most of us will definitely be taking more difficult courses in later semesters. That being said, some people that are applying definitely want to pad their stats and if you see thier gpa junior year was a 3.7 without looking at the transcript you might not see the fact that the student took ballroom dancing and intro to america which makes a big difference.

Thanks everybody.
why wouldnt they look at the transcript? they see every grade in every college course you take, not just the semester gpa.

but either way, 3.7 always beats 3.4.
and of course, 3.7 with a rigorous course load always beats fluffy 3.7

and lol why is everyone posting their semester gpas?

Worrying about timing suggests that you are capable of starting your upward trend whenever you want. Do it. Focus on a great overall gpa.

That's the worst argument ever. :laugh: 3.7 vs 3.65? At least make a more compelling argument with your assertion. That upward trend could be someone who studied for the MCAT, volunteered and took upper-level hardcore engineering courses and the other person took intro to cooking/working out/art and no EC's.

I was just comparing the two while leaving out the MCAT, extra-curriculars, PS, interviews, and LORs.

...and some schools like cooking/art over hardcore engineering courses :thumbdown:...which is unfortunate in my opinion, but true (correct me if I'm misinformed), that's why there's all this hoopla about humanities and social science majors becoming doctors.

I disagree.

That may have been true back in the day when everyone applying to med school was one of two or three science majors (bio, chem, biochem). These days there's a solid percentage of nonsci majors applying and major doesn't really matter. Meaning the dude who knocks off the prereqs early and then spends the latter two years finishing up his fine arts major may see a nice upward trend. And upper level courses in many majors actually can be easier to do well in in majors where you stop having large classroom courses and start with the much smaller seminars and thesis courses. Most people who go to med school aren't taking things like pchem anymore.

The time for an upward trend to begin is always the same:
now

Upward trends are nice, but if an upward trend starts right after you finish up the prereqs or once it's clear you started taking lots of fluff courses, then it's probably not going to wow anybody.

If you take many science courses (such as majoring in something very heavy in science like physics or engineering), it won't matter if your upward trend is after you finish your pre-reqs. And of course there are schools that place weight on your GPA based on the year: FreshX1, SophX2, JuniorX3 etc.

what courses would you define as "fluff"?