ATC vs PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athleticdpt15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have offers from both programs and I am trying to figure out if I should go to PT school or get my ATC and then go to PT school. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Don/t waste time and money on ATC if you are planning to be a PT. Just go to a PT school.

Don/t waste time and money on ATC if you are planning to be a PT. Just go to a PT school.

This. Don't build up unnecessary debt. Some PT's who want to work with athletes get their CSCS.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are some programs that offer a 3/2 year program for ATC 3 yrs undergrad, then 2 years Master's degree. you could then go to PT school after. Like ya1 said, debt sucks, but being a PT/ATC will get you in the door for some jobs. Those professionals with dual degrees will become progressively more rare since the NATA changed to an entry level masters degree. The ortho part of PT school will be easy after being an AT. The skill sets overlap a lot in ortho, not at all in neuro/cardio/acute hospital care. I find the AT stuff valuable.

I 100% agree with what has been said already, cost is the big issue. If it doesn't make sense financially but you really want to do get the credentials you can look into a sport residency. Cost might still be an issue as residency isn't exactly free, but it would likely make more financial sense than the DPT/ATC combo due to what truthseeker mentioned.

You will also have to consider what your career goals are. A lot of potential PTs get into the field because they want to work with athletes but PT is so much more than that. As mentioned above, orthopedics is only one area of practice for PTs. The scope is pretty big when compared to an ATC, so in that regard PT is more flexible, better hours, usually better pay, but working exclusively with athletes is rare. Heck I know a clinic who is the exclusive provider for an NBA team and it only makes up 5-10% of their case load at any given time. They still treat mostly non-athletic injuries for the bulk of their day. Most ATCs only work with athletes and it can be exhausting. Of course not all ATCs work with athletes, I met a gentlemen a few months ago who now works in an industrial setting as a ATC and swears he will never go back to athletics.