ATC's and PT's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJHUSKERS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some observing in a very large sports medicine facility where they have both ATC's (certified athletic trainer) and PT's working in the same sports medicine gym. However, all the PT's there have their ATC/LAT as well as SCS.

I'm not too familiar with what ATC's do, besides a lot of prevention (taping) and first aid work on the playing field. However, they do a lot of rehabilitation and modality type work similar to PT's. I honestly never knew that.

What do ATC's know more of than PT's? Or does a PT know much of what ATC's know? Obviously PT's don't do taping and first aid, but is that much of difference? What do you guys know about the ATC profession compared to PT?

Members don't see this ad.

Unlike ATC's, PT's must know how to apply modality use and exercises on populations ranging from pediatric to geriatric. While the modalities used are the mostly the same, ATC's only treat athletes. It is pretty difficult to apply the same principles of exercise to a 70 year hip joint replacement patient that you would apply to the linebacker of a football team.

What I find fascinating about PT is how versatile you must be (and your skills must be) to be able to make this transition between athletic patient X and geriatric/pediatric patient Y.

One of the classes that I was fortunate to take in my undergraduate education was a class on therapeutic modalities taught by an ATC (once PT) for our FB team. The class consisted of mostly pre-PT's but there were some pre-ATC's there as well. Modalities were the same, it's in the application and the patients that are different. :)

Good luck in the rest of your shadowing!

That makes a lot of sence. So a PT and ATC will rehab an athlete injury the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been doing some observing in a very large sports medicine facility where they have both ATC's (certified athletic trainer) and PT's working in the same sports medicine gym. However, all the PT's there have their ATC/LAT as well as SCS.

I'm not too familiar with what ATC's do, besides a lot of prevention (taping) and first aid work on the playing field. However, they do a lot of rehabilitation and modality type work similar to PT's. I honestly never knew that.

What do ATC's know more of than PT's? Or does a PT know much of what ATC's know? Obviously PT's don't do taping and first aid, but is that much of difference? What do you guys know about the ATC profession compared to PT?

Athletic Trainers cover a broad range of every medical in athletics. I am currently an athletic training student in my second year in the program. I have 2.5 semesters left before graduation. Athletic Trainers may not know in great detail everything there is to know about the variety of injuries and conditions, but it is important that we can recognize these conditions and when it is time to refer the athlete to a physician. In fact, on Monday my class is starting Evaluation of the Eye. Again, it's mainly pretty basic things, but having a little bit of knowledge is useful for us.

Athletic Trainers do tape and brace but contrary to popular belief, we do a lot more than that and hydration. While those are both crucial things we deal with, athletic trainers must have a solid background in orthopedic injuries and conditions. We evaluate injuries in many settings and have to sometimes make quick decisions as to RTP or the proper transport off the field, etc. I believe athletic trainers spend a lot more time learning about emergency procedures including splinting, backboarding, etc.

We also do a lot of rehab and ideally our rehabs are much more functional toward the specific sport. I have Therapeutic Modalities right now and next semester will have Rehab of Sports Injury. The athletic trainer that I am currently working with does a lot of the basic Thera Band type of exercises, but also does a lot of gymnastics-specific exercises for rehab much of which she has made up as she goes.

Athletic Trainers and Physical Therapists, when they leave the politics aside, can make great team members. Unfortunately, the politics are ugly at times and it comes from both professional organizations. If they can work together, the athlete has a much better experience and everyone wins!

So do a lot of ATC's end up going into PT because of how homologous they are. Since ATC's are paid quite a bit lower and work long hours, I would think most ATC's would see PT as an advancement in career.

So do a lot of ATC's end up going into PT because of how homologous they are. Since ATC's are paid quite a bit lower and work long hours, I would think most ATC's would see PT as an advancement in career.

Yes a lot of athletic trainers go on to PT school because yes it is more money often times. I don't know if I'd say most but I would say there are a lot.

Personally I do not see it as being an advancement but really just more debt which is something I definitely don't need. To work in an athletic setting, I don't need the PT or DPT credential. I can do just fine with the ATC credential and maybe adding the CSCS or NASM-PES or NASM-CES credentials for much less than it would cost to add the DPT.

Athletic Training is a profession that many do not understand. Athletic trainers are qualified to be THE primary provider of healthcare for athletes. No additional credentials needed for that. Anything extra is always an extra benefit if one feels it is important. But that can be said for many professions. Just as an athletic trainer would/could benefit by having the knowledge that the DPT brings, a DPT would/could benefit from having the knowledge an ATC education would bring...