Atlanta Apartments –*Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CorporeSano

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been accepted to the DPT programs at Georgia State University and Emory University, and I am trying to work out housing. Finding apartments near Emory seems pretty easy since I would only be looking at apartments within a few miles from campus. However, since GSU is downtown and most students commute, I am having trouble narrowing down my options.

I will be married, and I will be paying for most living expenses with loans. Because of this, I am looking for pretty cheap housing, but not so cheap that it puts me in a scary area. I am also hoping to find an apartment very close to a MARTA so I can catch the train in to school.

I know many GSU DPT students live in the Buckhead area. Any other areas you would recommend? If you are in or have gone through GSU's DPT program, where did you live? Do you have any specific apartment complexes that you would recommend?
 
Hi! Have you decided which school you are going to yet? I'm going to be going to Emory but I went to GSU for my undergrad if that counts. If you are needing help, a good free service to apartment hunt is promove. They get paid based on the commission/kickback from the apartment complexes when tenants sign the lease. You tell them the areas you are interested in and your price point and they work diligently to find you a match.

As far as areas Atlanta traffic can be brutal so I personally would not stray any more than 20 miles from campus but this is my opinion; however, the further you go OTP (out of the perimeter) the cheaper stuff gets. Buckhead, Druid Hills, Smyrna, some of Vinings, Brookhaven, Lindbergh areas are nicer areas that can be affordable if you do your due diligence. Lindbergh, Buckhead, and Brookhaven area might be your best bet if you want to catch the MARTA train. Maybe even Atlantic Station area but I'm thinking Atlantic Station may be pricey.
 
I'm still trying to choose. I have found some good options near Emory, so I'm focusing my apartment hunting on GSU for now. Where did you live while you attended GSU? (And, out of curiosity, where will you be living near Emory? Did you get in anywhere else? Why did you choose Emory?)

Promove sounds nice. Are they pushy, do they send ads, or do they charge you anything for their service? I'm always suspicious of services that earn the salesperson commission.
 
When I was at GSU I lived on campus all 4 years in the University Lofts. The Lofts offered housing to Student Scholars, Athletes, Graduate Students, and Students with Families. I don't know if you're interested in that. So unless things have changed drastically since I graduated in 2008, the University Lofts could be a good option for you. One flat fee per semester and you're right on campus. Several of my friends lived in either the Druid Hills area, downtown, or south of the school. Personally I prefer to live North of Atlanta. I currently live in the Cumberland Mall Area. In 15 minutes I can be downtown. I'm going to stay put for now (lease is up in September) and decide from there if I want to move closer to save on commute time, money, etc.

My experience with the Promove folks has been positive. You call and set up an appointment to meet at one of their offices. You meet with a rep and you discuss area and budget. They send you off with a folder full of apartment cards. The only thing they send you is a personalized link so you can see all the apartments that they work with that meet your criteria online. You can rank the properties and they even assist in calling and finding out current rates. They call and/or email throughout the process to see if you have questions or need help or want to change areas. I've used them twice and its been pleasant. I wouldn't be too worried about the Promove folks being outrageous its a legit service that has several locations in Atlanta. No cost to you even though we all know they are working hard to get you to choose an apartment complex they suggest.

I got into 2 schools and waitlisted for 1. I chose Emory because its well established and has a great reputation of producing top notch healthcare professionals. Sorry to be long winded!