Atlantic Health (Morristown) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papichulodoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The interview day started at 9:30. Traffic along 80 West was not a problem but can be if you take 80 east (Pennsylvannia - NYC morning traffic). The hospital is directly off of 287. Parking is a breeze, the lot is adjacent to the hospital and they validate parking. Once inside the hospital keep following the signs to the ED administration offices.

There were about 10 applicants present. Small breakfast was provided. The PD came in 40 minutes late, and spoke extensively extemporaneously for 1 1/2 hours. (A wee bit long, some applicant's eyes were closing.) There didn't seem to be too much focus in his presentation, and after my fifth interview it was hard to stay attentive. Afterwards, we went up to conference for 20 minutes...came back down for lunch, ate with a few residents and then had a tour and two interviews.

EM-1's work 18 12's a month. EM-2's work 17, and EM-3's work 16.

+++ All of the residents seem generally happy. Seems like a very laid back program.

+++ Subsidized housing. The area is expensive. Housing is across the street in building owned by the hospital. 1 BR's go for 700+ and two BR's are 1000+. About half of the residents live there.

++ Strong research oppportunities. Almost 1/4 of the attendings are significantly involved in research. They have a huge database that can pump out numbers in response to any of your questions. This also translates into a very EASY ROC required research project. The resources are there.

++ Interesting mix of community program with research interests, I haven't seen one like it thus far.

+++ Location....Morristown is a great community to raise your family. Great school system. Homes are very pricy, but if you and your spouse penny pinch you can make it on a resident's salary.

++ Most of their graduates go on to fellowships. The PD is smart (Former NYU tox fellow) and respected in the field. He is very well connected.

++ Morristown is the "headquarters" of the EMA (Emergency Medicine Associates) who serve as an independant contracting group of EM docs. They service over 15 northern and central NJ ED's, providing flexibility and high pay. Definitely a plus if you plan to live and work in NJ after residency.

+ Small amount of variety, there is a migrant farm worker population in the area and comprise about 15% of the "other" coming through the ED. So you will be able to use your Spanish.

+ Great ancillary staff, the PD admits to not putting in IV's, blood draws for the past 15 years. They do not feel that Docs should have to do that stuff and concentrate doing "doctor things" which is why you "get paid the big bucks" according to the PD.

+/- 3 year program

- Rotate through Newark for two months of Trauma, OB and another rotation. It is about 25 minutes away, and more in traffic, so expect to travel. You will need a car for this program. This is where you will get your "knife and gun club" experience.

- Rotate through NYC's poison control center. Even though this is great experience, expect to commute to NYC for 1+ hour each way. Probably better to take the train in.

-- Very affluent area (upper middle class mostly) so most of the cases correlate. You will mostly see blunt trauma (MVA's and falls), 85% Caucasian....but more acute cases since most have their own private docs.

-- Quality of grand rounds and conferences. They are one of the few programs out there that read a certain number of pages in Tintinalli and discuss it during conference. Also, since they are in Northern New Jersey I wonder if they attract quality speakers from around the country. A good deal of their lectures are given by senior residents.

-- The PD spent a considerable amount of time highlighting the negatives of programs in the area such as NYC, both during the presentation and interview. I guess it was in his right since he was an attending and tox fellow at NYU and spoke from his own experiences.

Overall, a typical community program based on "bread and butter" pt population. Strong research. Great place to live, raise a family and sow your seeds with the EMA (probably the largest employer of EM docs in NJ).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks. Long time lurker here with a question: Anyone have any info on the Morristown Memorial program in NJ? I did a search and came up with a few old posts but nothing recent. I really had a good feeling about this place when I interviewed there early on in the season but I'm not able to get any feedback from an outside source because it's a smaller program and really not too well known at my home institution. Any info or insight would be appreciated.

Also interviewed there pretty early in the season. They're small, and very much in the NJ burbs. For a community program they are very focused on teaching, and seem to get the people who want them into fellowships. http://em.morristownresidency.org/Alumni/Where are they now.htm

Huh, just noticed in looking at that list that the PD of Stony Brook trained there.

I worked with some great attendings who trained there, and who seemed to adapt fine to working in much larger, more urban, crazier EDs, so I have a pretty good impression of it. I liked the PD a lot. It's probably not the most diverse population in the world, nor is there going to be much penetrating trauma.

The residents seemed pretty happy. Definitely a slightly older crowd with a decent number married +/- kids, which might be connected to the location (apparently there are good school districts nearby and so on).

Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates for Morristown...seemed like a nice community program, would appreciate others opinions/experiences?!