Montefiore and Jacobi are officially splitting their residency program

Started by alpinism
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alpinism

Give Em' the Jet Fuel
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Montefiore and Jacobi to part ways on joint emergency medicine residency​


Aerial view of the Jacobi Medical Center in the Morris Park section of The Bronx, New York City.

Jacobi Medical Center (Wikimedia Commons)
By
Ethan Geringer-Sameth
September 04, 2026, 05:30 AM EDT
Montefiore Einstein and Jacobi Medical Center will be calling it quits after decades of running a joint residency program for emergency medicine doctors-in-training. The two institutions will be decoupling the four-year teaching program, paving the way for two new separate residencies beginning next year. The split has been the source of acrimony among blindsided residents and faculty in the program who say future doctors at both institutions will lose valuable training experience.

Full article: Crains New York Business
 
Last edited:

Montefiore and Jacobi to part ways on joint emergency medicine residency​


Aerial view of the Jacobi Medical Center in the Morris Park section of The Bronx, New York City.

Jacobi Medical Center (Wikimedia Commons)
By
Ethan Geringer-Sameth
September 04, 2026, 05:30 AM EDT
Montefiore Einstein and Jacobi Medical Center will be calling it quits after decades of running a joint residency program for emergency medicine doctors-in-training. The two institutions will be decoupling the four-year teaching program, paving the way for two new separate residencies beginning next year. The split has been the source of acrimony among blindsided residents and faculty in the program who say future doctors at both institutions will lose valuable training experience.

Full article: Crains New York Business
Man am I glad I’m half way to financial independence already. This field races further to the bottom every day. Cannot imagine being an MS1 and thinking about EM.
 
Man am I glad I’m half way to financial independence already. This field races further to the bottom every day. Cannot imagine being an MS1 and thinking about EM.

I think I was a ***** for choosing this "specialty" when it was hot. Now, you really gotta be sub 80 IQ.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Montefiore and Jacobi to part ways on joint emergency medicine residency​


Aerial view of the Jacobi Medical Center in the Morris Park section of The Bronx, New York City.

Jacobi Medical Center (Wikimedia Commons)
By
Ethan Geringer-Sameth
September 04, 2026, 05:30 AM EDT
Montefiore Einstein and Jacobi Medical Center will be calling it quits after decades of running a joint residency program for emergency medicine doctors-in-training. The two institutions will be decoupling the four-year teaching program, paving the way for two new separate residencies beginning next year. The split has been the source of acrimony among blindsided residents and faculty in the program who say future doctors at both institutions will lose valuable training experience.

Full article: Crains New York Business
my hospital firewall says Crains is an unsafe website. Maybe unsafe because they can't handle that spicy medical business news!

Anyway... I mean. I am trying to be very charitable here and say that this is a massive residency and even if split in half it is still bigger than most other residencies. But I just can't figure out WHY they would split. They are 3 miles away and really do function (from a residency education perspective) as one unit. I wonder if maybe Jacobi and all of its HHC (im sorry. NYC H+H) nonsense was somehow a weight around Montefiore's neck. But since the connection was just the residency and not other day to day activities, I can't figure out how.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't actually even Montefiore's idea and this was some cockamamie scheme by HHC to claw back more free labor from residents themselves. That sounds more like the brilliance of HHC. See a very small cost saving opportunity and ruin an excellent thing that brings them fame and respect by doing so.
 
my hospital firewall says Crains is an unsafe website. Maybe unsafe because they can't handle that spicy medical business news!

Anyway... I mean. I am trying to be very charitable here and say that this is a massive residency and even if split in half it is still bigger than most other residencies. But I just can't figure out WHY they would split. They are 3 miles away and really do function (from a residency education perspective) as one unit. I wonder if maybe Jacobi and all of its HHC (im sorry. NYC H+H) nonsense was somehow a weight around Montefiore's neck. But since the connection was just the residency and not other day to day activities, I can't figure out how.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't actually even Montefiore's idea and this was some cockamamie scheme by HHC to claw back more free labor from residents themselves. That sounds more like the brilliance of HHC. See a very small cost saving opportunity and ruin an excellent thing that brings them fame and respect by doing so.

The link is for the archived website so that could be the reason for the firewall.

Per the article H+H decided to start their own residency program based at Jacobi and kicked out the current Montefiore residents. They had originally been willing to let the Montefiore residents continue to rotate there for trauma months but apparently the PD has refused since they were mad since they would have to share all of the cases with the new residents. In addition they claim they were never even told about the new residency program in advance but
rather heard about it from the news after hospital leadership had submitted all of the ACGME paperwork to start the program.

Word on the street is that H+H is planning on starting their own residencies to reduce their own labor costs which means cutting ties with many of the
private hospitals that host the current residency programs. If that is true we could have another 10+ residencies in NYC since none of the private hospitals
will ever close their programs or lose their residents to other programs. In the end there is no shortage of physicians who are happy to live there for the pay considering how appealing these faculty jobs are to all the burnt out docs that work at the county hospitals.
 
Wow. Elmhurst is a gold mine for cases for Mt Sinai residents. At MSH, nothing happens. At Elmhurst, everything happens. To boot out Sinai will be a great detriment to them, such that they might not even make their numbers.

I remember interviewing at Sinai and being so unimpressed.