ATLS and general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

splenic_flexure

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary or advisable to try to become ATLS certified before beginning residency? I have audited a course, but find that they can be expensive to pay for on one's own. Do most gen surgery programs train you in ATLS when you begin as an intern or are you expected to have undergone this training beforehand? (Also, what about ACLS?)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

With regards to ACLS...if you can't get a free course from your medical school, your residency program should cover you. I can't speak for all programs, but that has been the case for me.

Your program will pay for you to become certified for both ATLS and ACLS of you go into surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SomeOne
Most programs should provide you with training - usually during the orientation period before starting residency. Check with your program coordinator or GME office staff.

Depending on the "trauma designation" of your particular program, it is often a requirement that all "members" of the trauma team be ATLS certified...thus your program will likely make arrangements for you to be certified.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received notice that my program has made arrangements for me to take ATLS in July. Just thought I would let you know:)

Thanks to all for the info - saving the extra cash will be nice.

One question for Skylizard:
I noticed that you previously posted that you did a prelim surg year. I wanted to get your opinion on doing a preliminary year at lets say program A (a top 10 program) and then placing into program B versus just going straight into a categorical spot at program B.
Wouldn't it look better that you at least spent one year at a top 10 program than not?

splenic_flexure, check out the thread "Is this a good or bad idea", it should have the answers your looking for since I was thinking roughly the same thing.

My program provides the ACLS, but its not during orientation like ATLS, its during the year. Thats a pain in the ass! Shouldnt some governing body make ACLS mandatory prior to starting residency?

Originally posted by lucas
Shouldnt some governing body make ACLS mandatory prior to starting residency?

Many hospitals require physicians to be ACLS certified.

The Joint Commission (JCAHO) was considering making it mandatory for all physicians that are involved in clinical care, but I never heard if this passed. Anyone know?

From the surgical side, it is my understanding that anyone who will be on the "trauma response team" (i.e. residents) will require ATLS, numerous programs also require ACLS. The trauma issue may be dependent on your programs trauma designation/level. Each program is different. I know the program I will be starting in July will provide:

BLS (basic)
PALS (pediatrics advanced)
ACLS (Advanced-adults)
ATLS (Advanced Trauma)

as part of orientation/pre-training or during the first month of rotations.

Originally posted by splenic_flexure
One question for Skylizard:
I noticed that you previously posted that you did a prelim surg year. I wanted to get your opinion on doing a preliminary year at lets say program A (a top 10 program) and then placing into program B versus just going straight into a categorical spot at program B.
Wouldn't it look better that you at least spent one year at a top 10 program than not?

This was already answered but as you directed the question to me...I will answer it again:

see threads:

Is this a good or bad idea?

After prelim year . . .

Also, changing programs at an advanced level (i.e. PGY2) can be very rsiky. Suppose you are in a "top 10 program", there is a great likelyhood in many "top 10 programs" that your intern OR experience will be minimal. Now you change and go to "program B" as a PGY2. What happens if you arrive with only 60 cases...mostly central line placements and all the other PGY2's have over 100 cases with a nice handfull of hernias and lap choles etc...? The attendings will be expecting you to perform in the OR at least at the level of "their" PGY2's. Some attendings...possibly bitter at their career will actually single you out as coming from a "top 10 program" and how bad a product you are in comparison to "their PGY2's". It may hurt really bad.