ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far! I am nervous about my interview on the 29th. . .it is my first one, and I think it is going to be my only one! Which is just fine because I really want to go to KCOM anyways!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who have been accepted at KCOM this cycle, how did you prepare for your interview? And do you have any suggestions, tips, or advice for those of us who are interviewing in the near future? My interview is next friday and I am SOOOOO nervous! :scared: This is also my first interview so not sure what to expect. Any help will be appreciated 🙂
 
I'm a second year, but the best advice I can give you is to relax, be yourself, and have fun during the interview day. The vast majority of interviewers are extremely friendly and will likely just chat with you for the majority of the interview.

One of the professors put it this way: If you get an interview, you are good enough to get into the program, plain and simple. The interview is more about seeing if you would fit with the program well, and if the Docs could see themselves working with you some day.

Get a good night's sleep, answer every question honestly, and show the interviewers what you can bring to the school (show them what they can't see from your file).

Good Luck, and you will enjoy your time at KCOM.
 
I'm a second year, but the best advice I can give you is to relax, be yourself, and have fun during the interview day. The vast majority of interviewers are extremely friendly and will likely just chat with you for the majority of the interview.

One of the professors put it this way: If you get an interview, you are good enough to get into the program, plain and simple. The interview is more about seeing if you would fit with the program well, and if the Docs could see themselves working with you some day.

Get a good night's sleep, answer every question honestly, and show the interviewers what you can bring to the school (show them what they can't see from your file).

Good Luck, and you will enjoy your time at KCOM.



Thank you!!! Im nervous and excited at the same time! Have my fingers :xf:
 
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far! I am nervous about my interview on the 29th. . .it is my first one, and I think it is going to be my only one! Which is just fine because I really want to go to KCOM anyways!

I'll be right there with you! The nerves go away within half an hour, and the interviews seem to really be more like conversations. Just be yourself, have an opinion, have questions, and it's all gravy train.

I bet you've heard that a million times by now, but really...
 
For those of you who have been accepted at KCOM this cycle, how did you prepare for your interview? And do you have any suggestions, tips, or advice for those of us who are interviewing in the near future? My interview is next friday and I am SOOOOO nervous! :scared: This is also my first interview so not sure what to expect. Any help will be appreciated 🙂

I'll be there next Friday too! I am very excited. I'll see you there. 🙂
 
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what everyone thinks about what kind of laptop to get. I've always used PCs and I'm not sure what software, Mac or PC, will be beneficial in med school. Thoughts?
 
Wait until the major manufacturers are selling computers with Windows 7. I would highly recommend getting a TabletPC with Office 2010 (when it is released). I'm running the Beta editions of Office 2010 and Windows 7 on my tablet, and it is absolutely amazing!

As far as the brand of the computer, there are many good options. The Lenovo X200 Tablet is about $1700. HP's tx2z laptop is pretty cheap at $800, but is powerful and extremely functional. I would wait until summer to get a computer, because new models should be coming out before you start school.

A couple of people use Mac's, but you will have far fewer headaches with a PC.
 
whos going to be there this coming monday?

I'll be there next Friday too! I am very excited. I'll see you there. 🙂

I'll be right there with you! The nerves go away within half an hour, and the interviews seem to really be more like conversations. Just be yourself, have an opinion, have questions, and it's all gravy train.

I bet you've heard that a million times by now, but really...

When did you guys submit your secondaries?
 
I was complete on September 4th and received an invite on Sept. 11th.



Superman.. Are you ready? 12 days! I'm getting more and more nervous each day. Can't wait!
 
I was complete on September 4th and received an invite on Sept. 11th.



Superman.. Are you ready? 12 days! I'm getting more and more nervous each day. Can't wait!

Oh I am getting more and more nervous by the day too! I want to attend KCOM sooo much! Hopefully we both rock our interviews and get very good news! =)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a second year, but the best advice I can give you is to relax, be yourself, and have fun during the interview day. The vast majority of interviewers are extremely friendly and will likely just chat with you for the majority of the interview.

One of the professors put it this way: If you get an interview, you are good enough to get into the program, plain and simple. The interview is more about seeing if you would fit with the program well, and if the Docs could see themselves working with you some day.

Get a good night's sleep, answer every question honestly, and show the interviewers what you can bring to the school (show them what they can't see from your file).

Good Luck, and you will enjoy your time at KCOM.

Agreed, the interviews at KCOM are very conversational. I even had one of the "tougher" professors interview me and I didn't think it was that bad. Don't stress about it to much, and like rddoms said, be honest! The interviewers were not born last night and have probably heard every answer in the book and can tell if you are genuine or not.

Best of luck to all of you with your upcoming interviews and congrats to those of you already with acceptances.
 
Hey RedDo! When do you get to Kirksville and where are you staying? See you!! 🙂

Hi! I am driving into town and hope to be there by 6pm Thursday night. I will be staying with a 2nd year student near campus Thursday and then at the Holiday Inn Express Friday night. You?
 
Hi! I am driving into town and hope to be there by 6pm Thursday night. I will be staying with a 2nd year student near campus Thursday and then at the Holiday Inn Express Friday night. You?

Hey! Im staying at the holiday inn express on thursday and head back on friday. Four more days to go!
 
What is the deal with a 20-30 min interview with an admissions person? Should I expect the same types of questions as in the other 2 interviews???
 
Congrats to all who've been accepted. Good luck to those with upcoming interviews. I'm a 4th year now and am more than happy to answer questions you have, esp for 3rd and 4th years.
 
What is the deal with a 20-30 min interview with an admissions person? Should I expect the same types of questions as in the other 2 interviews???


No, the questions are different. From what I remember it was "Here's what you need to finish/take for classes/any other action to continue on in the process". Also, "Are there any other updates to your file?" Or "Is there anything else you'd like the admissions committee to know?"
 
No, the questions are different. From what I remember it was "Here's what you need to finish/take for classes/any other action to continue on in the process". Also, "Are there any other updates to your file?" Or "Is there anything else you'd like the admissions committee to know?"

man i dont remember being asked ANY of those questions. it was just going through my address and phone number then we just casually chit chatted about my interests and preparations for medicine
 
When did you guys submit your secondaries?

Sorry this is so late, I've been all over the place recently. I sent my secondary mid-august (however, it took a while to get things straight with my undergrad to get my LORs sent). Interview invite 09/11.
 
just got the call from admissions director. accepted woo!!! KCOM HERE I COME! what a quick turn around, interviewed two days ago LOL!
 
Wait until the major manufacturers are selling computers with Windows 7. .

God, seriously. I bought a super-duper, sleek awesome PC earlier this year with Vista and I hate it. I've owned 4 laptops now, and this one is the worst by a mile. I don't even know what to do with the thing and could not believe I started seeing commercials for 7 this soon after I had bought this thing with Vista.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
God, seriously. I bought a super-duper, sleek awesome PC earlier this year with Vista and I hate it. I've owned 4 laptops now, and this one is the worst by a mile. I don't even know what to do with the thing and could not believe I started seeing commercials for 7 this soon after I had bought this thing with Vista.

Vista has single handedly drawn me 450% more into the world of Macs...

Worst OS EVER!👎
 
God, seriously. I bought a super-duper, sleek awesome PC earlier this year with Vista and I hate it. I've owned 4 laptops now, and this one is the worst by a mile. I don't even know what to do with the thing and could not believe I started seeing commercials for 7 this soon after I had bought this thing with Vista.

Very happy with my new MacBook Pro..I recently switched from a PC and haven't looked back.
 
I seem to remember on our interview day, that students' white coats were embroidered with their names. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I think it would be awesome to have our names on our white coats.
 
I seem to remember on our interview day, that students' white coats were embroidered with their names. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I think it would be awesome to have our names on our white coats.


One of the campus organizations offers free embroidery w/ membership or you can pay to get them done for I believe 10 dollars, but not for sure. It is up to you if you want it.
 
Did anyone who interviewed last week hear back from them today? I think maybe I'll call them in a little while...
 
Interview Friday!!!! I a mso nervous, it is my first and I just sent my supplemental application packet in on Tuesday!!!! Anyone remember how the interviews go or common questions asked?? Thanks, I'm very nervous but was told that the pre-med committee interview at my undergrad program is much more stressful than any other interviews to come....
 
Sadly, when i called I found out that I was rejected...I thought my interviews went extremely well though. Anyways, I seem to have noticed this trend in good interviews followed by rejection...lol Anyways, I can now only hope that I get into TCOM. Good luck to everyone else this cycle!
 
So I am in Kirksville right now, chilling at the Holiday Inn. . .I explored around here earlier, and I really like this town! I interview tomorrow, and I am nervous as hell. Hopefully, it all goes alright . . .I'll post feedback probably on Friday =)
 
does anyone know how much the acceptance fee is? and how soon you have to pay it after acceptance? and what the ratio is of how many they interview to how many are accepted? sooo many questions...
 
does anyone know how much the acceptance fee is? and how soon you have to pay it after acceptance? and what the ratio is of how many they interview to how many are accepted? sooo many questions...

1000 in mid december
500 in march
500 in april

It is something close to the above. I can't comment on the second question.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am in Kirksville right now, chilling at the Holiday Inn. . .I explored around here earlier, and I really like this town! I interview tomorrow, and I am nervous as hell. Hopefully, it all goes alright . . .I'll post feedback probably on Friday =)

You had the same feelings as me Superman. Good luck tomorrow.
 
You're not required to have a laptop. I'd say +90% of students do though. Mix of PC and Mac 🙂

Are you certain? I think we were told something about requiring one in our acceptance package. Maybe it was just a computer in general.
 
Are you certain? I think we were told something about requiring one in our acceptance package. Maybe it was just a computer in general.

I think they may be required for next years incoming class...they were HIGHLY recommended for my class