ATSU KCOM vs KYCOM vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DalalaMed1

Reaction score
I love all of these schools for difference reasons. My husband is stationed in NC so that is a big factor(short term) but we both understand that I need to go to a school that provides the most opportunities and will help us reach our long term goal of living in southern Cali (where he is from). Which school do you think provides the best opportunities for success on board scores and residency placement?

KYCOM Pros:
- Loved the campus, people, and overall area(rural doesn't really bother me).
- 6 hours from where my husband is stationed
-Cheapest
-KYCOM advantage

KYCOM cons:
- about 70% go into primary care
- not the best board scores, but actively making changes to do better.
- dress code

ATSU KCOM Pros:
- More established with a larger alumni group- more opportunities that come from that.
- Ultra sound curriculum
- Could see myself there
- good residency placements and good board scores
- No dress code/mandatory attendance
- I liked the 400 omm hours but that seems to be a big con for everyone else?
-systems based/blocked schedule
- more flexible with rotation options and I feel like is better for my family long term.

ATSU KCOM Cons:
- way more expensive
- furthest away from my husband (13 hour drive)

CUSOM Pros:
- very comfortable atmosphere
- only 2 hours from where my husband will be
- systems based/block schedule (love their schedule)
- ultra sound curriculum
- great matching and board scores

CUSOM Cons:
- I just didn't get "the" feeling when I visited.
- mandatory attendance and dress code
- more restrictive rotation options when considering my long term goal

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid the mandatory attendance and dress code. Also, if you didn’t get that ‘feeling’ at CUSOM, then that may put you in a worse position long term.

As for the primary care thing, I wouldn’t weight that portion too greatly because most DO schools have a higher percentage of primary care physicians especially since they stress it.

I’d vote for ATSU-KCOM out of the three, especially based on what you consider important.

Reactions: 1 user
ATSU KCOM based on your pros/cons and the above poster. I would not be able to deal with mandatory attendance or dress codes either.

I'm not sure if you have made a decision yet on this but I go to KYCOM and can give you a little insight. We are making changes to improve the preparedness of our students to take their boards and we'll see how those improvements have helped after Class of 2022 has taken their boards. There is mandatory attendance for your first semester at KYCOM but after that it's optional (minus a few classes). I was worried about the dress code too but your first year, when you actually have to attend class, you can wear scrubs 2-3x/week which helps lighten that requirement.

If you absolutely LOVE the idea of going into NMM or anything to do with osteopathy, KYCOM is an excellent choice. They live it and breath it and have some well-recognized instructors in the field. That being said, if you're unsure or looking into another field, ATSU KCOM would be my recommendation for you.

Reactions: 1 user