ATSU-SOMA and rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed, I have a valid reason to be posting here with you guys, since some of you are going/have gone through this...
I am in the process of choosing schools to apply to. I have read about SOMA and like their approach to basic science years, however, I have doubts about rotations.
I understand that you do your core rotations at a CHC and that's great but if, for instance, I am interested in EM and want to do some audition rotations during MS3 and MS4 in a few out of state (TX)/in-state big hospitals, am I allowed to schedule aways frequently during those years? Would I be at a disadvantage as compared to fellow allo/osteo who do get to complete their rotations in a more "standard" curriculum?
I am at loss here, someone with experience chime in please
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am finishing up my first year now, but from what I have heard directly from 3/4 year students and faculty, you can schedule audition rotations just as easily as if you were in a more "traditional" curriculum. Having so many connections across the United States, I would imagine that it would actually be easier, but that is just my guess.

I am finishing up my first year now, but from what I have heard directly from 3/4 year students and faculty, you can schedule audition rotations just as easily as if you were in a more "traditional" curriculum. Having so many connections across the United States, I would imagine that it would actually be easier, but that is just my guess.

How so?

Our school is the school of the nation's community health center system. We have clinical campuses spread out across the country. Many of our clinical campuses have clinical preceptors numbering in the hundreds with which any of us could potentially rotate.

I'm guessing that's the general idea.