ATSU-SOMA Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,

im trying to get an apartment at colonial but i dont know what to put on my application for monthly income. i tried calling and i left a message but so far no response. what did you guys do?

If I remember correctly the max amount you can take out for living expenses is around $25K...so just divide that by 12 for an estimate. So approximately $2000/month if you take the full amount.

If anyone's still looking for housing I strongly recommend San Montero on Inverness (NOT San Montego on Superstition)...6 min drive to school, across from a plaza with restaurants for a quick bite to eat and a Barnes and Noble for study, beautiful pool and gym.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my laptop from the site, although I'm wondering what specifications it has that made SOMA make it a requirement for me to buy. It just seems like any other new laptop.

see you guys and gals in a week! this is probably a silly question, but does anyone know what we need to wear to class? I was hoping for scrubs but they don't seem to be available until august.

Members don't see this ad :)
see you guys and gals in a week! this is probably a silly question, but does anyone know what we need to wear to class? I was hoping for scrubs but they don't seem to be available until august.

I'm guessing a shirt and khaki pants will have to suffice.

:)

Last edited:
guys,

I live in Solana Condominiums and I may need a ride to and from class Mon and Tues until I get my car. Can anyone help me out?

If you can give me a buzz, 516.225.5291

Thanks

Sean

Dress on campus is business casual or scrubs (however the scrubs have to be SOMA issued ones). After hours you can wear whatever but for class dress code is required. I'd strongly recommend you start building a business casual wardrobe. Years 2-4 the dress code for clinic is strictly business casual (the only time you will wear scrubs is in the OR). You want to look sharp for patients so they feel more comfortable being treated by a student. A lot of people from my class just purchased 5 pairs of scrubs and rotated them throughout the year, but IMHO if you aren't comfortable in business casual dress you picked the wrong career.

I just got my laptop from the site, although I'm wondering what specifications it has that made SOMA make it a requirement for me to buy. It just seems like any other new laptop.

Yeah, it pretty much is. I think the main reason for it was so that the tech support could just specialize in fixing one type of laptop and therefore, potentially provide better support.

GreenShirt:

Are we allowed to wear scrubs without any logos at all?
Also, are we always required to tuck in our shirts during class?

GreenShirt:

No. The scrubs have to be SOMA issued (They're greenish with the school's logo). I'm not sure of the point of this since campus is really the only place you're gonna wear them and maybe your surgical rotation 3rd year. But just humor them.

No. You'll see that a lot of people will really push the definition of "business casual" to it's limits. The school doesn't have anyone who walks around and checks to see if you're shirts tucked in or your shoes are appropriate as they do at LECOM. On Thursday's you can wear anything you want since it's OPP day and you want to be comfy.

Honestly, I like the dress code because it gave me an "excuse" to buy nice clothes (Oh, have to...it's for school). Not everyone is as enthused though. Some people just buy 5 pairs of scrubs and rotate them everyday.

Thanks GreenShirt

Last edited:
GreenShirt:

you can get away with at least the color - Caribbean blue/green. scrub zone is the brand if you want to at least match that. unless they changed the policy since then. i agree with greenshirt, its basically to humor them to see the dental students in blue, us in the weird blue-green, pa's in business casual, and pt's in gym shorts haha.

just tuck it in...is it really that hard? rock comfy dress shoes too, they dont have to be your sunday best. thursdays were definately lenient days. if you want to bring a change of clothes, dont forget shoes. nothing looks funnier than shorts with black socks and dress shoes haha.

GreenShirt:

you can get away with at least the color - Caribbean blue/green. scrub zone is the brand if you want to at least match that. unless they changed the policy since '07. i agree with greenshirt, its basically to humor them to see the dental students in blue, us in the weird blue-green, pa's in business casual, and pt's in gym shorts haha.

just tuck it in...is it really that hard? rock comfy dress shoes too, they dont have to be your sunday best. thursdays were definately lenient days. if you want to bring a change of clothes, dont forget shoes. nothing looks funnier than shorts with black socks and dress shoes haha.

Wow It has been a while since I got on this site. Cheers guys, I hope everything is going great for all of you. Time flies by really fast when you are in medical school. I can't believe I am almost half way through my 3rd year. So whenever you feel overwhelmed, just think about the end result and where you will be in 2 years, seen real patients. That is what it is all about.
Well good luck and try to have as much fun while you are in Mesa.