Attempts on USMLE and Nicu chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ped1493

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn users,

I have a question and need some really realistic insight into it.

Long story short, I have 3 attempts on step 3 with no attempts on any previous steps. Mid 220 ranges in the rest of USMLE. IMG on a visa .

How badly am I screwed for fellowship chances? And if there is a way to cover up this one red flag, what would they be??? I’m open to any suggestions and advice.

Really ambitious to do nicu. Willing to do anything to cover up this. But I know they use step 3 scores to filter out applications. So need to understand where I stand in terms of all this mess and what are the various ways I can come out of it. Your inputs would be truly appreciated .

Members don't see this ad.

Hello sdn users,

I have a question and need some really realistic insight into it.

Long story short, I have 3 attempts on step 3 with no attempts on any previous steps. Mid 220 ranges in the rest of USMLE. IMG on a visa .

How badly am I screwed for fellowship chances? And if there is a way to cover up this one red flag, what would they be??? I’m open to any suggestions and advice.

Really ambitious to do nicu. Willing to do anything to cover up this. But I know they use step 3 scores to filter out applications. So need to understand where I stand in terms of all this mess and what are the various ways I can come out of it. Your inputs would be truly appreciated .
Honest answer - it won't help (I'm assuming you ultimately passed it), but it won't rule you out of neonatology per se. I don't think most programs screen for Step 3 - we kind of figure it wouldn't be a strong suit for pediatric trainees. Now, the combination of being an IMG on a VISA and the Step 3 results may rule you out of many of the top programs, but there are plenty of good programs that will at least consider you.

There's nothing you can do specifically to mitigate the Step 3 score other than otherwise have a good application especially strong LORs from clinicians from your residency (assuming it was a US residency).

Honest answer - it won't help (I'm assuming you ultimately passed it), but it won't rule you out of neonatology per se. I don't think most programs screen for Step 3 - we kind of figure it wouldn't be a strong suit for pediatric trainees. Now, the combination of being an IMG on a VISA and the Step 3 results may rule you out of many of the top programs, but there are plenty of good programs that will at least consider you.

There's nothing you can do specifically to mitigate the Step 3 score other than otherwise have a good application especially strong LORs from clinicians from your residency (assuming it was a US residency).
I don’t think I dreamt much of being in top program given my visa status and being IMG. A decent program is good for me. I will train my best wherever I am. My question is, is this seen as questioning my ability to pass Peds boards???? Because I can’t tk the boards before graduations. So will they equalize one to another exam? I have heard they do that in medicine boards. Not sure if they do the same for Peds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there will be concerns about boards, but with your step 1 and 2 score I don't think that will be a huge concern.
Yes, I hope I can prove that. Are there places which let the graduates do one year of research (even if the pay is minimal) so that if I don’t match in third year I can reapply again after graduation. Another option is doing an extra chief year. But I’m not sure how to choose these two thing. I know nicu is research based so hoping on an extra year of research but not really sure how to approach it. Any suggestions?

Yes, I hope I can prove that. Are there places which let the graduates do one year of research (even if the pay is minimal) so that if I don’t match in third year I can reapply again after graduation. Another option is doing an extra chief year. But I’m not sure how to choose these two thing. I know nicu is research based so hoping on an extra year of research but not really sure how to approach it. Any suggestions?
Chiefs are usually chosen by the program--you have to display interest, of course. The competitiveness of the chief year will depend on a lot of factors, including how strong your program is. It's not something that you really do on a whim, since chiefs are usually chosen in second year so that if someone is not chosen as chief, they still have the option of applying to fellowship.

There are absolutely people who take time off between residency and fellowship, though. I don't know how the visa may play in, but about a third of people from my program take a year or two doing urgent care or neonatal hospitalist or something similar before applying so they can focus on boards, make a little more money to apply for fellowship, and recover from the hard residency schedule. Doing a year of research may be more complicated, as you'll need to get funding somehow. It's not like taking an extra year in medical school to beef up for residency applications--most people want you doing some clinical work between residency and fellowship.

I wouldn't recommend a chief year. Your step 3 attempts would hinder in your chances of getting in to bigger programs but there are 106 programs in Nicu and 84% are filled every year, 16% go unmatched. Your aim should be to hit the middle ones. One thing which you can do is to do an away rotation in a program and location you like and get a good letter and aim to match there. All in all, you would match in NICU- only matter is where. Good luck!