Attention Admission Folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bryan123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took gen. chem 1+2 on the quarter system at the U of Minnesota. They only offer the 2 quarters, please tell me I don't have to take something like analytical chem or P chem to qualify for entrance. Do any admissions people have a thought? Anybody out there with a similar situation? The same thing is true with Orgo, but I undrstand biochem is an accecptable replacement.

Thanks again, Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an admission person, but I do know for a fact that your semester hours do translate to 1.5 quarter hours and thus you should have plenty to cover prereqs. Look at all the catalogs and you will see they list the prereqs in quarter hours! Relax, you're cool.

One point, before you assume all schools will allow you to sub 1 sem of biochem for 1 sem of Orgo...I would check it out at each school. Some schools will not allow the sub. Several schools also require biochem in addition to Orgo, i.e. UHS, beginning Class of 2004, must have a year of Orgo and 1 sem of biochem. Minnie Marrs herself told me that was going to be a new requirement.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Members don't see this ad :)
Bryan,

Old Man makes a good point: Definitely check each school's requirements before assuming you can substitute Biochem for Orgo. I was accepted to UOMHS and COMP, but only UOMHS would let me substitute a semester of Biochem. Since my Biochem course didn't have a lab component, I still had to take a 2 credit Orgo lab to get enough credits. I have also heard that alot of the schools will be requiring Biochem as a prereq in the near future. Good luck to you!

Stef
UOMHS '03

Bryan,

The prior two postings are the best advice. You should contact the schools to which you will apply and ask them directly. I had a similar question concerning English requirements, emailed the schools in which I was interested and all replied. Do a little leg work yourself and there will not be problems down the road.

Chris.

[This message has been edited by cpesq (edited May 14, 1999).]