Attention all current PCO students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

know>wonder

get up and try, try again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm looking forward to starting school at PCO in august. i know a lot of you current students are encouraging us to enjoy our free time before we have to lock-down for school in august. trust me i'm doing as much partying as i can right now in between my two jobs and night class...so i was wondering what i should brush up on specifically that will help me out first semester?

i've read pretty much every post related to PCO in this forum (also in archives) all i found was that we're expected to learn a bunch of parts of the skull the first day? can any of you shed light on this?

i've already 'completed' the 3 internships required of us (OD/MD, retail, etc) i work at all 3 kinds! and already wrote a page of my experiences at each.

but i wanna hit the books already. i saw a speck of dust on my biology book yesterday and i felt guilty. current PCO students...help me! thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think your previous experience counts. They probably want new ones, part of the deal with the devil i guess.

i don't think your previous experience counts. They probably want new ones, part of the deal with the devil i guess.

i've been told that i can get credit for prior experience...if not, i dont mind putting in another few hours, i still work at those offices...

Members don't see this ad :)
can you guys please explain more about the 3 sites of internships that we have to do? I haven't even heard of such a thing... =/....please let me know

i've been told that i can get credit for prior experience...if not, i dont mind putting in another few hours, i still work at those offices...

Yes, we have to complete 3 clerkships before first term. Which is, as someone mentioned, OD/MD, OD, and optical stuff. It's rather easy. I got credit for 2 of mine so I used those. It's not really a credit that counts, its just something you have to do I guess.

Anyways, if you really want to know what to study, start reading neuroanatomy. That's the craziest, hardest, and nastiest course ever. The rest you'll juts come here and read about it. If you really want to know, theres genetics and biochem first term. I forgot what else, but the rest are similar to upper level human phys, bio courses etc...

Stop worrying people, unless you suck at anatomy, than be VERY VERY afraid :) And neuroanatomy will be like nothing you've had before.

can you guys please explain more about the 3 sites of internships that we have to do? I haven't even heard of such a thing... =/....please let me know

I think you should've got something in the mail regarding this, if I remember properly. I sorta remember wanting to complete these before I came to PCO.

umm I havent heard of this either... was it after you guys accepted your seat at PCO that you heard this?

First of all please relax and enjoy what life has to offer now and don't worry about what is to come. I personally thought the first semester was going to be way worse than it really was. Not to say that it was easy, but it wasn't that bad. Second semester is pretty difficult, but you will find a way to manage.

Brushing up on biochem, genetics, and neuroanatomy isn't a bad idea if you are really itching to get started.

We did have to have the three experiences from the OD, OD/MD, and corporate site. You CAN use prior experience, I did and it worked fine. If you haven't heared of it you will soon. They didn't send it out untill the the beginning of last summer.

I know you're all excited and nervous to get started, but relax it will all be fine and fun