Attention all those who have taken the MCAT!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you who have taken the MCAT, I am a non-science major and wondered what additional classes do you recommend taking in addition to the pre med classes ( bio, phy, organic) in order to do well on the MCAT???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend taking a few upper level biology classes. For example, try taking cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, and perhaps physiology. NB: You don't need to take all of them, but one or two will certainly be advantageous for you.

Any class where you have to read stuff and understand what you have read. Anything with critical thinking skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, i'll be complaining about this in every post from now on....i wish i had taken biochem, b/c now i have to take it as a prereq right before med school....i heard human physiology was more beneficial for the mcats though.

My advice: if you're a non-science major, major in biology too....I only needed 4 more courses, but i didn't do it, and i think i should have. :rolleyes: now i'll be exhausted when med school starts. be careful! maybe i should start a thread about this...:rolleyes:

I think one of the difficulties here is that you usually have to take the MCAT after only 3 years of classes, and usually the good, useful science classes are upper division classes with lower division prerequisites, so you only can take advantage of one of your two years worth of potential knowledge and experience when taking the MCAT. Then again, I think people make a bigger deal about the MCAT than it really is. True, it can help you if you are a little weak in other areas, but a great MCAT and gross weaknesses other areas isn't going to do much for you.

I'd have to vote for taking biochem and/or physiology.

biochem would definitely be a good thing... if not for the MCAT then at least to help prep for med school.

But you dont' REALLY need any of these upper div courses. Study hard, take a prep course and you'll be fine. You may get 2 questions on the tests from having taken a course- not exactly high yield where i'm from --Trek

I agree. I'm a non-science major and I had only taken the bare minimum classes for the MCAT. There was nothing on the test that I had never heard of - I'm sure biochemistry or something would have been helpful but don't kill yourself to take it - regular bio and o chem have everything you need to ace the bio section.