Slightly unrelated, but interesting anecdote: I went on a date with one of the new C-suite execs of one of the hospitals I work at the other day. Didn't know she was c-suite until after I had asked her out on a dating app. Within minutes of starting the date, she brought up ER holds and going on EMS diversion and how she always refuses EMS diversion requests at her prior job "because they don't work". My response was "what is your definition of 'doesn't work'?"
"Well, EMS can ignore a diversion request and everyone else will eventually just go on diversion."
"Well sure, but they typically don't ignore diversion requests unless there is a good reason, and if you don't go on diversion when necessary and everyone around you goes on diversion in a city of millions of people, you are going to set yourself up for a disaster situation."
"I've seen the numbers, it doesn't change anything?"
"You've seen what numbers? There is no way you are claiming that shutting down EMS traffic has no effect on patient volumes. From a boots on the ground perspective, the results are almost instantaneous when you are going from 10-15 new EMS patients an hour to 0."
"It doesn't shut down EMS traffic, but that's nice that y'all feel that it works."
"In our system, it effectively does outside of priority 1 patients and specific patient requests typically. And that's an aggressively condescending statement to an ER physician that's been doing this job for 7 years, and you just started doing yours 2 weeks ago."
"I did shadow the ER doctors I worked with at my last job, so I know what it looks like down in the ER when it's busy."
"Can we please just change the subject."
Amazingly she has been hitting me up for a second date. I might need to find a new job.