"Health Care Administration, Leadership, and Management (HALM)"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaelia

neenlet
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) recently approved subspecialty certification in Health Care Administration, Leadership, and Management (HALM) for all specialties. The American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) will serve as the Administrative board with the American Boards of Anesthesiology (ABA), Family Medicine (ABFM), and Preventative Medicine (ABPM) serving as co-sponsoring boards."

Who wants to participate in the latest and greatest ABEM/ABMS subspecialty money-grab? They're looking for volunteers! Get in on the ground floor of the merit badge grift!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
And be willing to add one more certification exam with its associated fees and requirements…The hard truth is that ABMS is simply too big to fail, and the bureaucracy will continue.
”ABMS-certified physicians can achieve certification in HALM by meeting the eligibility criteria, fulfilling specific credential requirements and passing the HALM Certification Examination. The first certification exam will be offered in October 2024”

Can’t wait to see someone with MD FACEP FAAEM FHALM after their name.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t wait for the exam questions to leak.
It’s only one question and it’s already been leaked:

What’s more important?
A. Patients
B. Money

If you get it right then you get your subspecialty certification.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
It’s only one question and it’s already been leaked:

What’s more important?
A. Patients
B. Money

If you get it right then you get your subspecialty certification.
“Dear Patient, We've run every test we can think of and the results show you're out of money."

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
ha down in these parts, it's routine to put all your various diplomas in your official correspondence – so do I actually have mine as:

Karen M. Chadster III, MD MS FACEM FACEP AFAIDH :cringe:
Wait, you go by Karen now? Never a dull moment around here.

For any lurking premeds: Xaelia is one of the only people here that isn't an SDN anon.

I figured my anonymity was long gone many years ago around these parts when I built mdapplicants.com, but I suppose I could have aged into obscurity by now ...
Wow, I managed to forget about mdapplicants.com and that you built it. That site really helped me back in the day probably 15 years ago now. Wait did you sell it to SDN?

Maybe you are becoming more obscure from outside the North American continent, though a quick search shows you're still writing columns in ACEP Now.

HALM is pointless.
No hospital is going to pick HALM over MHA or MBA. And why would they?

Money grab for ABMS, and free labor for hospitals.

The only silver lining, is perhaps rank and file residents can now advocate for a HALM rotation for all specialties.

I essentially created one as an elective in residency, good chill month, informative.

HALM is pointless.
No hospital is going to pick HALM over MHA or MBA. And why would they?
Odds are most of these fellowships will include MBAs. Lots of the EM admin fellowships already do and they seem to be the basis for this HALM thing.

That could make it more meaningful.
Getting a Residency level pay, to complete a masters degree, makes it bit more palatable, too.

When Cleveland Clinic stops taking internal surgeons to pick someone with HALM, I'll be a believer then.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, I managed to forget about mdapplicants.com and that you built it. That site really helped me back in the day probably 15 years ago now. Wait did you sell it to SDN?

Maybe you are becoming more obscure from outside the North American continent, though a quick search shows you're still writing columns in ACEP Now.
Yep, I sold it to SDN when I ran out of time to properly upgrade and maintain it.

I'm not sure who is "famous" these days – "influencers" of this generation. I still do the Annals podcast, edit the Journal Club, and write in ACEPNow – for all intents, fading into aged obscurity ....

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, I sold it to SDN when I ran out of time to properly upgrade and maintain it.

I'm not sure who is "famous" these days – "influencers" of this generation. I still do the Annals podcast, edit the Journal Club, and write in ACEPNow – for all intents, fading into aged obscurity ....
We still can get you on tiktok…