ATTENTION UIC STUDENTS: Where is the best place to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all current UIC dental students:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to live around the dental school? I have heard of graduate dorms on campus... would anyone recommend them? Where do most students live their first year? I would love to get my own apartment, but as a female, I don't think I'd feel too safe living on my own. Thanks for any recommendations! :)

Members don't see this ad.

ugh, I need help with this question as well!!! I was considering staying at SSR, the graduate dorm at uic with one roommate. Is this a good idea? Is it good idea to live with a classmate? I'm considering doing that as an option.

Is it convenient as far as busses, or walking, etc.?

hey guys,
i wasnt sure about living in SSR or a private apartment either. the pros of SSR that i've come up with are that the cafeterias are right on campus if u want a meal plan, u have lots of company around, the gym is right downstairs and best of all the dental school is only 3 blocks away (which is awesome during the winter especially or anytime ur running late). not to mention all ur bills are paid for in ur semester fee (no extra electricity, internet etc.)
at the same time, there's nothing like the privacy and comfort of an apartment. a dorm being a dorm, there will be some restrictions. about living alone as a female.. you can get a roommate. there are plenty of 2-3 bedroom apartments available. and i don't know either about having a fellow classmate as a roommate. not sure it would be a great idea just because it might get monotonous being around dentistry, dental students, everything dental all the time. of course, there are advantages to it.
are there any current UIC students here who could give us some direction? does anyone know of any nice, safe, reasonably priced apartments within walking distance of the dental school? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately guys, you are going to be living in a large city - the cost is going to suck regardless.

I didn't personally live in SSR, but I found it to be a depressing jail-cell type of building that I was always itching to get out of when visiting friends. The cost is the best around if you are living alone, but if you can find roomates, getting an apartment can potentially save money. I should also add that pretty much ALL of my classmates that lived in SSR during the D-1 year have moved out. It is a convenient place to live I agree, but if you can't handle the claustrophobic living space, get out - there are plenty of options.

For example, the MD apartment complex which is literally 3 minutes from the school is a great option (again though, it is expensive if you don't have a roomate).

As for safety, when looking for a place to live, just try to stay north and east of the school as best you can. It gets fairly crappy quite quickly to the west and especially the south. Stay north of roosevelt and east of western. Exceptions of course exist, this is my own opinion.

There are two trains of thought. You will be in the dental school a LOT - especially your second year. Some argue that since you are away so often, who cares how small and depressing your living arrangements are. I however would argue that having a comforting environment to return to after a 12 hour day can make all the difference between insanity and making through the week.

Whatever works for you.

Feel free to PM me if you guys have questions.

Last edited:
I agree, MD is nice and convenient, but expensive. I would also consider apartments on Laflin (north of Taylor), on Polk (east of Ashland), on Taylor (east of Ashland), on Fillmore, on Lexington, on Flournoy, or on Loomis (north of Taylor). Oh, and Bishop too (which is actually my favorite - a nice secluded street with a cul de sac).

It'll be good to live close to school your 1st year or two in case you wanna go to anatomy lab (which is actually really close to SSR), or if you got lab work you need to finish up outside of school hours). Junior and senior year is when you can go live it up in the yuppie neighborhoods. FYI, as part of your student fees, you will get a Upass, which gives you unlimited rides on the "L" (it's the train system) and the buses.

Question
My home is about an 1hr-15min train commute to UIC dental school... Is it a good idea to commute in that case to save money?

What is considered a reasonable amount to pay per month in the area? Right now I'm paying $500 per month at my undergrad which I think is great, but I'm guessing I may not be able to find that in the city. My best option for UIC next year so far is $700 per month in MD apts living with my boyfriend. Good deal or should I keep looking?

in the Medical District area, you won't find anything much cheaper than $700, unless you find a 3 bedroom apartment and have 3 total roommates, and even then the place probably won't be as nice as MD, which was renovated a few years ago.

What is considered a reasonable amount to pay per month in the area? Right now I'm paying $500 per month at my undergrad which I think is great, but I'm guessing I may not be able to find that in the city. My best option for UIC next year so far is $700 per month in MD apts living with my boyfriend. Good deal or should I keep looking?

certainly doable. i knew people who commuted 45minutes to 1hour, even freshman year. it may take a tole on your academic performance, but if you're just looking to pass classes, it's not that hard at UIC.

Question
My home is about an 1hr-15min train commute to UIC dental school... Is it a good idea to commute in that case to save money?

First year Id suggest living somewhere in the square between Ashland and Loomis (west/east) and between Harrison and Taylor (North/South). Lotsa good places, but not real cheap. Theres a lot of places to eat and bars on taylor. Anything further away and the walk is going to be tough esp. in the winter.

If your having trouble finding places there are a few realtors/owners that can guide you (Harris bros, Carana Realty, New West Realty). Their offices are all right along Taylor.

First year Id suggest living somewhere in the square between Ashland and Loomis (west/east) and between Harrison and Taylor (North/South). Lotsa good places, but not real cheap. Theres a lot of places to eat and bars on taylor. Anything further away and the walk is going to be tough esp. in the winter.

If your having trouble finding places there are a few realtors/owners that can guide you (Harris bros, Carana Realty, New West Realty). Their offices are all right along Taylor.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with some of the other students. Cost of living is sickly expensive, regardless of where you live. You pay to live in Chicago and that's that.

My recommendations for living would just be north of Roosevelt and east of Western. The closer to school, the better. If you're like me and forget your lunch, or a binder like a schmo, you have enough time to go back and get it during a lecture break. Not to mention you can literally roll out of bed and get to school on time. Sleep is number one your D1/D2 year. You can fall behind very quickly.

As far as commuting 1.5 hours or whatever, think of "round trip" time rather than just how long it takes to get there. To me it's an easy decision, because there's 3+ hours wasted just commuting. You'll learn quickly there's not enough time in the day. Anyways, you'd be saving like 10k/yr so it's tempting, but is it worth the convenience? Besides, you won't be bringing many chicks/dudes home when you break the news that they've got 1.5hrs before you bring them home to mom and dad's house.......

My recommendations for living would just be north of Roosevelt and east of Western.

This is a great area with alot of apartments. East of Western, N of Taylor, and West of Ogden/Damen. It;s technically called the Tri-Taylor neighborhood. 10 min walk to UIC Dental. I used to go home for lunch!