Attire for Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone thought about interview attire? I personally don't own a suit, nor can I afford one. Does anybody know if schools will look poorly upon an applicant for not wearing one? I'm interview at PUCO/ICO next week and don't really have a clue what to wear other than shirt/tie/slacks type of attire. It's basically what I would wear if I were observing an optometrist. Also, any tips on interview at Pacific?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a ton of old threads about interview attire - use the search box, you'll find a lot of good stuff! Don't worry about not having a suit. As long as you look professional, that's what matters.

I think your attire should:
1. Be professional - definitely a button up shirt, dress pants, dress socks, dress shoes (with laces). Lean towards conservative, white shirt, black pants if possible.
2. Fit well - not be 2 sizes too big or too small

If it's possible, I would highly recommend purchasing a suit second hand (~30 dollars) and getting it tailored (~45 dollars). Pick up a plain white dress shirt from an outlet store, or macys on sale (~20), and a conservative tie and DRESS socks(~20), and some laced up DRESS shoes (~60).

That is roughly 200 dollars, less if you already have some of the clothes. You can always borrow from friends/family as well, just make sure it doesnt "look" like it was borrowed (fit wise). This is an investment because how you dress subconsciously will affect how your interviewers view your professionalism.

When day is your interview? Feel free to PM me w/ a picture of your current attire and I will give you my honest (uneducated) opinion on how I think admissions will reflect upon it.