Attire Question for Psych dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is hosting a "casual summer party" at night at a restaurant/bar for 3rd/4th year students interested in psychiatry. What would be appropriate to wear? I don't want to be too casual, but I don't want to be too formal either.

Members don't see this ad.

My school is hosting a "casual summer party" at night at a restaurant/bar for 3rd/4th year students interested in psychiatry. What would be appropriate to wear? I don't want to be too casual, but I don't want to be too formal either.
Sounds like fun.
I'd say check out the location the night before and dress to the standard of the restaurant for "summer casual".

Thanks, OldPsychDoc. It's kind of a long drive from where I am currently living, but I think your suggestion is the safest way to avoid making a fashion mistake.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Although you don't specify gender, I'm a dude, so I'm going to pretend you are too. Here's my three step suggestion:

1) Go through your ties.
2) Find the one that you're pretty sure won't wrinkle if you jam it in your pocket.
3) Jam it in your pocket.

You're all set! :D

Remember, these are psychiatrists. My wife already makes fun of me and says I should be buying "psychiatrist sweaters." I already grew a beard and found some nice nerdy glasses, and that's all the uniform I can muster for the moment.

If I were a guy, that would have been very helpful:). Thanks very much for your input. I know exactly what you mean by psychiatrist sweaters though.

Which coast are you closest to? Since you are asking, I imagine you are more East. I'm on the west coast where "summer casual" is shorts and a t-shirt and sandals. In fact, unless specified otherwise, this is pretty much the normal non-work atire here.

I'm in Michigan, so I guess I'm pretty non-coastal.

From where I stand, Michigan is pretty far East. ;)