Attn 4th years: $$$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessUMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between several schools right now, all of which differ drastically in the total price tag. I am wondering if you feel, after coming to the end of your education, that money should be a big factor in the decision. I know everyone says, "it doesn't matter, you'll be able to pay it off..." but I want to know what you think.

The 2 schools I like the best are both almost double the cost of the third one I'm considering, which I'm really only keeping there because of the money issue. Any thoughts? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a dental student yet... But I still feel I can give you a little bit of advice.

I went to an expensive undergrad school (Emory University) over taking a full ride to my state school becuase I wanted to get a away and experience life on my own. Plus, I fell in LOVE with Emory and knew I would regret not going there. Granted, I now have lots of student loans and I will gain more after dental school, but I would not change not a thing.

The way I look at it is that you should go where you feel most comfortable and where you will truely be happy at for the next four years. Money is not worth your happiness!!! Remember that you will be working hard for the next four years, so at least go some where that you will be happy. HOWEVER, if you are just as happy and content at a less expensive school, then by all means go the cheaper route.

you'll be piss broke no matter what...pick a school that DOES NOT have PBL and has good bars nearby!

Members don't see this ad :)
zdaddy08 said:
you'll be piss broke no matter what...pick a school that DOES NOT have PBL and has good bars nearby!

Whats wrong with problem based learning?

jessUMD said:
I am trying to decide between several schools right now, all of which differ drastically in the total price tag. I am wondering if you feel, after coming to the end of your education, that money should be a big factor in the decision. I know everyone says, "it doesn't matter, you'll be able to pay it off..." but I want to know what you think.

The 2 schools I like the best are both almost double the cost of the third one I'm considering, which I'm really only keeping there because of the money issue. Any thoughts? Thanks

honestly its not worth it. I turned down columbia to go to a cheaper school.

ITs like this, if I go to the crappiest school in the US and you go to the best and we work in the same town you wont be able to charge any more than I will.

And dont give me any crap about it being a better school because I for one have never asked what school my dentists have went to. Nor have they told me.

Same for physicians.

Were all equal in the end.

DDS2BE said:
Whats wrong with problem based learning?

A gigantic waste of time at our school... Let's spend 6 hours a week staring at 4-5 classmates just hoping that we are talking about the right disease/mechanism, etc. for the test. If not...oh damn well. The chances that your classes are going to cover the material is pretty slim...you'll just miss those questions on the test. Other than that, it's GREAT!... :eek:

zdaddy08 said:
A gigantic waste of time at our school... Let's spend 6 hours a week staring at 4-5 classmates just hoping that we are talking about the right disease/mechanism, etc. for the test. If not...oh damn well. The chances that your classes are going to cover the material is pretty slim...you'll just miss those questions on the test. Other than that, it's GREAT!... :eek:

Yea I dont think PBL is worth a damn in dental schools. Seems to work at med school however.

MAybe because dentists need a good hygenist to tell them whats wrong?

hahahahah just kidding. If my dental hygenist ever disagrees with me then she will be FIRED !

:laugh:

vertical bite said:
honestly its not worth it. I turned down columbia to go to a cheaper school.

ITs like this, if I go to the crappiest school in the US and you go to the best and we work in the same town you wont be able to charge any more than I will.

And dont give me any crap about it being a better school because I for one have never asked what school my dentists have went to. Nor have they told me.

Same for physicians.

Were all equal in the end.

I turned down cheaper schools and went to columbia. I dont regret it. I learned a lot and got into the specialty I wanted first try. Maybe I could have at another school, but maybe not. Although no one will probably ask u what u school u went to, not all schools are the same and not all dental educations are the same. Not to say the more expensive schools are better, but all schools are different

I turned down the expensive school to attend my state school. Having been out for almost a year now, I don't regret it at all. Although I didn't get into my specialty of choice on my first (or second) try, I don't think the school I went to had too much of an impact on my rejections. It feels really nice to know that I did not end up in double the amount of debt I would have had if I went to the other dental school. I don't feel like I learned any less. I work with students from a few other east coast dental schools in my residency. In the beginning, there seemed to be a discrepancy in our knowledge bases when it came to treating patients. However now, 8 months later, we're all basically on the same level.

Dental school sucks wherever you go. I used to attend the ASDA regional and national meetings as a dental student and meet dental students from all over the US. As first and second years, we'd all complain about having to study for didactic classes. As third and fourth years, everyone complained about meeting requirements to graduate and how much requirements sucked at his/her respective schools. Complaining about dental school is a national pastime of dental students.

IMO, pick the cheaper school, find some people you click with so you have a sane group of friends, and then work your butt off to graduate on time. I hated living in Buffalo for 4 years, it felt like one long winter that just wouldn't end. But I had some fun friends and just buried myself in the endless amount of studying and work involved in being a dental student, and I still can't believe that my 4 years are over! It goes fast, might as well save your $$$ and use it later when you want to buy a car or open a practice or go on to specialize.

this question has come up on dentaltown a couple times and 99% of dentists say the same thing: GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL!!

By minimizing your debt, you'll have more options to your choice of associateships (eg you can afford to stay in a big city and make less rather than going to a rural place that no one wants to go so you'll be able to pay back your loans), you will make better recommendations to your px, rather than the most expensive procedure possible, and you'll have $$ left over to enjoy the finer things in life or jumpstart the dream of every dentist- be the owner of a practice.

I choose the cheapest school because with my scholarships and due to my wife (sugarmama) I will have dental school paid off by the time I graduate.

It will be nice to graduate with nooooooooo debt and I can start life !!!

Cant wait.

vertical bite said:
I choose the cheapest school because with my scholarships and due to my wife (sugarmama) I will have dental school paid off by the time I graduate.

It will be nice to graduate with nooooooooo debt and I can start life !!!

Cant wait.

VB,

you remind me of someone in my class. this kid too thinks that he is god's gift to earth and that his **** doesnt smell.

seriously, please tell us how old you are.