How difficult is it specialize after working as general dentist for a few years?

Started by TAAP_WATR
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TAAP_WATR

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what can I do during my time as a general dentist to increase my chances of getting accepted in a specialty program since I would have already graduated by then??

Will grades matter as much if you apply after working for a few years as a general dentist versus applying right away?

so many questions so confused:dead:
 
what can I do during my time as a general dentist to increase my chances of getting accepted in a specialty program since I would have already graduated by then??

Will grades matter as much if you apply after working for a few years as a general dentist versus applying right away?

so many questions so confused:dead:
What specialty do you want?
 
Try to get more exposed to that particular specialty, do some easy cases in that specialty, join the association for that specialty, shadowing those specialists and get tips and network

Endo is really the only specialty that general practice will help you because it is built on a foundation of restoring teeth. Ortho or peds? Experience won't HURT you but it won't help either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try to get more exposed to that particular specialty, do some easy cases in that specialty, join the association for that specialty, shadowing those specialists and get tips and network

Endo is really the only specialty that general practice will help you because it is built on a foundation of restoring teeth. Ortho or peds? Experience won't HURT you but it won't help either.
but will my grades still matter when I apply for these programs if I opt to gain more experience?
 
but will my grades still matter when I apply for these programs if I opt to gain more experience?
Your grades and ranking will always matter, especially at research-heavy academic programs. If you're on the lower end you may have to work longer to get the experience to cover that weakness and apply to programs that value clinical experience more.