ATTN: Those considering cancelling upcoming interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbe36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the interview season rolls on, many schools have slowed their pace of invites. Some schools have switched to only inviting once a previous slot has opened up due to a cancellation.

Please do not take what I have to say as begging or an attempt to sway you. While I am lucky to have interviewed at my top choice, it has been my only interview thus far. There are also many others in my position and a great number of students who are waiting for that first invite.

I only ask that if you are holding an invite to an interview you are certain you will not attend or it is at a school that you are certain you would not matriculate to please consider those who would swiftly fill your spot. I am NOT asking you to cancel an interview you are 50/50 on. However, if you are going to cancel, please do it in a timely manner. Even if it is a week or two week before your date, this will likely not be enough time for the admissions office to effectively replace your spot or for the new interviewee to make the proper travel arrangements.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

As the interview season rolls on, many schools have slowed their pace of invites. Some schools have switched to only inviting once a previous slot has opened up due to a cancellation.

Please do not take what I have to say as begging or an attempt to sway you. While I am lucky to have interviewed at my top choice, it has been my only interview thus far. There are also many others in my position and a great number of students who are waiting for that first invite.

I only ask that if you are holding an invite to an interview you are certain you will not attend or it is at a school that you are certain you would not matriculate to please consider those who would swiftly fill your spot. I am NOT asking you to cancel an interview you are 50/50 on. However, if you are going to cancel, please do it in a timely manner. Even if it is a week or two week before your date, this will likely not be enough time for the admissions office to effectively replace your spot or for the new interviewee to make the proper travel arrangements.

Thank you.

Doesn't seem to unreasonable! I already withdrew from three schools that asked me to interview, simply because I had acceptances at several places that I really liked, so I hope that the picked up someone else instead! Best of luck...hope you get into your top choice.

Thanks. You just reminded me that I needed to withdraw from two schools. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, so I just withdrew from a interview that I had scheduled, but now that I have acceptances, I don't want to go (and I wouldn't chose them over what I already have).

I saw the title and thought "oh no, I'm going to hear how bad it is to withdraw, and that, because I scheduled it and now withdrew, my other schools are going to hear about it and have a bad opinion of me." I don't know why I thought that, but for some reason the title of the thread led me to that.

What does it say about me that I jumped to a very bad conclusion just from a thread title that has no negativity?...:p

You reminded me to withdraw as well! Hopefully my slot will go to you!

thanks for reminding me... i've been putting off canceling an upcoming interview.

Just withdrew from a school offering me an interview. It hurts my soul (afterall, who doesn't want to interview and be accepted!), but it helps financially to cancel.

Thank you.
ive cancelled 11 interviews...just 4 u...thank me later

I've found that I know nothing about a school until I go there to visit. I can read all their online "advertisement" and "facts" and get a feel for the school, but once I am there I make up my gut feeling about the place and that's what has counted so far. So in a sense I would feel 50/50 about any other interview invite. And then again, there is the cost issue.

But not to worry, this is just a thought, I have no more interview invites for now.

Good Luck!! I will keep my fingers crossed that you get some more invites!

Haha, is this how pre-med applicants brag to eachother?

jk :p

hahah. I guess withdrawing from interviews is the new props system around here and not so much as getting interviews.:laugh:

I wish I had interviews to withdraw from, just for you guys. but hey, it's the thought that counts, right?:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice post. I would cancel interviews if I had an acceptance and had interviews to cancel! I've only had 1 interview and I don't get a final decision until March. I have no more interview invites and still waiting on 12 schools. Do you know how bad this sucks? I just ordered MORE MCAT books to begin RESTUDYING for the MCAT. I need a backup plan and my chances of an acceptance this cycle are very, very low.

Thanks for the post, though. I think I counted 27 interviews that just opened up for me! The schools just need to send me the emails. :laugh:

I like the general sentiment of the OP. I was conducting interviews today and a girl didn't show up and didn't bother to call. I find that both rude and patently unprofessional. ...not to mention the fact that she wasted an interview spot that many people would have hungrily snatched up. :mad:

I like the general sentiment of the OP. I was conducting interviews today and a girl didn't show up and didn't bother to call. I find that both rude and patently unprofessional. ...not to mention the fact that she wasted an interview spot that many people would have hungrily snatched up. :mad:

^^ I know, it's messed up. But it doesn't surprise me that much.

A few of the interviews that I've been to, particularly the more recent ones, have had a few "no-shows." The people either don't bother to call at all, or they call 1 or 2 days before their interview, when it is already too late to fill their spot.

Plus (if you're at a school that's open-file) the interviewer's time is wasted reviewing the file of an applicant who is no longer in the running.

Haha, is this how pre-med applicants brag to eachother?

jk :p
haha...funny :p

yea u aint ballin until u cancelling interviews ya dig? syke nah, there were really sum skools that i cancelled because i felt bad for other ppl bcuz i knew i didnt really wanna go there, but i jus wanted 2 visit...miami comes 2 mind :/

I don't know if anyone here would think I'm being harsh, but shouldn't their be some sort of a penalty for flaking on an interview? I'm sure if these students knew more was on the line, they would remember to cancel....

It should be for every interview you flake on, AAMC rescinds an acceptance offer from you.

I don't know if anyone here would think I'm being harsh, but shouldn't their be some sort of a penalty for flaking on an interview? I'm sure if these students knew more was on the line, they would remember to cancel....

It should be for every interview you flake on, AAMC rescinds an acceptance offer from you.

I personally think that's a bit too harsh... although i think it's rude and very unprofessional to not show up to an interview w/o calling to cancel, don't forget how the schools treat us like crap... some of them make us wait for months and months before we hear anything, just so they can keep their options open... everyone is out for themselves... this whole process is demoralizing.

I am not blaming anyone - just saying that always blaming the applicant is getting a bit too old.

Good luck, I am sure things will even out in the end. I had similar sentiments as OP when my first four results were waitlists before I started having acceptances

imo acceptances should be temporary. for example, if you got an acceptance, you would only have it for one month or so before you would be dropped to the waitlist for that school.

The problem is that a lot of people cancel interviews by email and the schools never respond to confirm that the interview was canceled so how is the applicant supposed to know that their cancellation request was even received.

Keep canceling those interviews for me guys!

Maybe "Class of '13" is still in the cards :)

Keep canceling those interviews for me guys!

Maybe "Class of '13" is still in the cards :)

you can do it. keeping believing! :luck::thumbup::luck::thumbup: (did you write LOInterests to some of those WL schools)

haha...funny :p

yea u aint ballin until u cancelling interviews ya dig? syke nah, there were really sum skools that i cancelled because i felt bad for other ppl bcuz i knew i didnt really wanna go there, but i jus wanted 2 visit...miami comes 2 mind :/
English Please?

Well, earlier this season I had to cancel one at the last minute because I got into a higher priority school less than a week earlier. It's not my fault a higher-priority acceptance accepted me a week before I was going to interview.

But the rest of them have all been timely withdrawals.

you can do it. keeping believing! :luck::thumbup::luck::thumbup: (did you write LOInterests to some of those WL schools)

Thanks! :) Well, I've been updating all the schools to which I applied on a regular basis. I usually include a little note about why I think I would be a good fit and I indicate continued interest...

does anybody want to cancel a UC Davis interview? please?:xf:

I personally think that's a bit too harsh... although i think it's rude and very unprofessional to not show up to an interview w/o calling to cancel, don't forget how the schools treat us like crap... some of them make us wait for months and months before we hear anything, just so they can keep their options open... everyone is out for themselves... this whole process is demoralizing.

I am not blaming anyone - just saying that always blaming the applicant is getting a bit too old.

Agreed. At least half of my schools I applied to do silent rejections, according to SDN. I do not pity an interviewer one bit who wastes their time with a no-show interviewee at one of these schools. You have 30 minutes wasted? What about the applicant who pays the $100 secondary fee and waits for 9 months to hear absolutely nothing back?

The only reason I think ppl should cancel their interviewees ahead of time at one of these schools is to free up an interview spot for another applicant, not to save the time of the interviewer.

Of course, I am only saying this about schools who silently reject. :mad:

That makes me angry, too...I'm one of those applicants who would drop everything to show up at an interview the next day if offered. Hell, in some instances I'd be willing to pay the student who canceled the interview so I could get that spot!

And I get that people don't like the way med schools treat us applicants, but think about this way: you're really only hurting a fellow applicant by not showing up. The school may lose time/a bit of money on it, but they've got tons of people vying for seats. It's that poor guy who doesn't end up getting an interview who really gets screwed.

That makes me angry, too...I'm one of those applicants who would drop everything to show up at an interview the next day if offered. Hell, in some instances I'd be willing to pay the student who canceled the interview so I could get that spot!

And I get that people don't like the way med schools treat us applicants, but think about this way: you're really only hurting a fellow applicant by not showing up. The school may lose time/a bit of money on it, but they've got tons of people vying for seats. It's that poor guy who doesn't end up getting an interview who really gets screwed.

if only we could do this ...:laugh:

dude, nobody's getting screwed.... the school is not going to start class with even ONE empty seat... if you deserve a seat in that class, those few applicants who ditch their interviews are not going to come in your way. Do you really think that if you don't get in, it's because of those few people who decided to not show up to their interviews? If you're not going to get an interview, you're not getting an interview, whether those applicants cancel their interviews or not.

I will cancel my upcoming interviews depending on how fast the schools I've already interviewed at take at getting back to me. In other words, it's all based on their (the schools') side!

does anybody want to cancel a UC Davis interview? please?:xf:

I heard that they only started interviewing in December, so there should be plenty of spots available still. But if not, could two people drop their interviews please? Sangria and I would like to take that opportunity.....hmmm let's see....I would trade you two regeneration potions, a small leather pouch of fairy dus....aaannd...hmmm...two magical amethyst amulets?

Deal anyone?

dude, nobody's getting screwed.... the school is not going to start class with even ONE empty seat... if you deserve a seat in that class, those few applicants who ditch their interviews are not going to come in your way. Do you really think that if you don't get in, it's because of those few people who decided to not show up to their interviews? If you're not going to get an interview, you're not getting an interview, whether those applicants cancel their interviews or not.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that school X has 700 interview spots for the year for a class of 150. But if 20 people over the cycle don't cancel, then they only end up interviewing 680 people. Of course, their class will be full and it's not a major issue for the school, but those 20 people who were next in line for an interview wouldn't get the chance that they might have had if the cancellations had been done properly.

You're kidding yourself if you think that anybody who "deserves" a seat in any given class gets an interview. That's a load of BS.

Today I withdrew from MCW and VCU, so I hope that opens a spot for someone who really needs it.

that's not at all what i'm saying. I'm saying that school x has 700 interview spots for the year for a class of 150. But if 20 people over the cycle don't cancel, then they only end up interviewing 680 people. Of course, their class will be full and it's not a major issue for the school, but those 20 people who were next in line for an interview wouldn't get the chance that they might have had if the cancellations had been done properly.

You're kidding yourself if you think that anybody who "deserves" a seat in any given class gets an interview. That's a load of bs.

yep.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to thank you for the positive responses and overall awesome attitude towards my OP. These next fews weeks may very well prove to be turning points in a lot of peoples' lives. I know that even if I do not get one of your interview spots, some deserving member of this site will. Thanks and congrats to you all!!!

I heard that they only started interviewing in December, so there should be plenty of spots available still. But if not, could two people drop their interviews please? Sangria and I would like to take that opportunity.....hmmm let's see....I would trade you two regeneration potions, a small leather pouch of fairy dus....aaannd...hmmm...two magical amethyst amulets?

Deal anyone?

hahaha that was cute. Can you make that three please? I'll throw in some pixie stix. Booya!

Give it a rest.

Let people vent a bit.

Even now I've still been unable to drop any interviews because the ones I've had a while ago still won't get back to me! :mad: Blame the schools, not me!